Cutting down...?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't think I could get down to just one electric..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cutting down on quantity so u can reinvest in quality sounds like solid logic.
    But for gods sake don't sell them all! Keep ur current fave/no.1 as a reserve. Two guitars is just fine, i wouldn't go monoaxe unless i really had too.
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    I am also doing the same thing. I have a number of guitars and some have not been played for over 6 months. In order to keep the wife happy and my wallet happy I have now arranged a trade for 2 for 1 - so i can say goodbye to my strat (which i bought simply as i was going through an Edge period - not a fan really of single coils) and i am getting rid of my Ibanez AS1003 which is a beautifull guitar but it was so damm big to play on my lap. Those are being traded in for a 2013 Experience PRS (described as showroom new condition).

I intend to keep my MIJ tokai which i love. I also am keeping my JTV Variax which actually does a very good strat impression but also does so much more. I have a EVH wolfgang which is sitting under my bed since January 2014 and a Red Special which i got last week which should be a keeper. I also picked up a Jem 70V a couple of weeks ago which again should be a keeper.

I went through a similar period with pedal boards and amps before buying and axe fx 2 and then sold all my pedals and amps (apart from a stubborn Peavey Vyper which nobody wants - just realised i also have a peavey guitar that no one wants sitting in  my office) 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    I want to cut back, but there would be 4 stayers minimum. Two Gretsches, a home-made one, and an old Hofner. Then there's the bass and banjo. And I'm building two at the mo, so this isn't going particularly well...
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933

I recently sold 3 guitars and bought one quality one. Now all 7 of my my electrics are high-quality or have sentimental value, and I'm a bit happier.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2454
    I have 3 electrics (very nice tele, very nice SG, bog standard strat).
    I can't see me ever accumulating more unless I decide to start playing djent and need a long scale humbucker guitar..
    I might eventually replace the bog standard strat with something nice like an AVRI strat or a custom shop.

I went through having more, but at the end of the day, playing time is limited enough as it is, and you just end up gravitating towards your preferred couple of guitars and ignoring the mediocre ones.

I'm thinking of scaling back my folk instruments as well. I've currently got a mandolin, an irish bouzouki, a tenor banjo and a ukulele. I think I could probably sell of most of that, stick with the mandolin I've got and buy a nice bouzouki (I'd love a Buchanan).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Why do you feel guilty owning multiple guitars - it doesn't make you a better or worse guitarist.

Just run with it! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Bidley;253219" said:
    I'm a bit happier.
    That really tickled me.

Very true - you can spend the gross domestic product of one of Europe's less successful economies on guitars and still not be happy.

I think it comes down to expectations. The difference between a really cheap guitar and something at £500 is significant. Probably the next step up is £1000+ but also feels worthwhile. Beyond that diminishing returns set in.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    edited May 2014
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc etc. I'm up to nineteen now. Fortunately at least 3/4's of them were under or just over £100 each with 3 under £30 each. It's my 40th birthday next year, I have hinted at something special....
  • Niallmo said:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc etc. I'm up to nineteen now. Fortunately at least 3/4's of them were under or just over £100 each with 3 under £30 each. It's my 40th birthday next year, I have hinted at something special....
    Something for under a fiver?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom