Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you feel warmth for a film that one of your parents loved?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
Out of the blue today I was reminded of the old film Genevieve. I haven’t seen it for a great many years, but I smiled to myself thinking of how much my mum loves that film. It reminded me of that ‘secure’ feeling of my childhood when all in life was good. Sunday early afternoon, the smell of roast dinner permeating through the house, our Red Setter, Cherry padding around the place, windows steamed up as it was raining outside and us sat down pre-dinner watching the movie. My dad has never been greatly into films or music, but my mum is still a lover of the arts, and I could list a load of her ‘special’ films. 

Genevieve is a wonderful film. The scene at the end is so touching, when John Gregson has a frustrating stop at a zebra crossing (during a race with Kenneth More) and then an old gentleman turns up. I get a real lump in my throat at that moment!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I watched lots of old movies like this as a kid. Often gives me fond memories of my mother. Always loved Genevieve, and my wife has similar memories of the film. A few years ago we were having a weekend away and we put the telly on the hotel room and ended up seeing that Genevieve was on and watching the whole thing.

Old movies remind me of my later mother. Her favourite actor was Robert Mitchum, so whenever I see a movie with him in it makes me think of my mother.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My dear old Mum(rip) loved her films and many remind me of her but the 2 I will quite often watch is Neil Diamond version of The Jazz Singer and this which is on my list of great films.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Loved Genevieve as a youngster, Dinah Sheridan looking prim and proper but with that glint in her eye ;-)

A great feel good movie on a budget. I wonder if the old motor still manages the London Brighton run each year?
  • I don't know if my parents had particular favourite films although the films we watched as a family were often classic Hollywood musicals as well as westerns, a musical western being the height of the art of cinema for us!
    My father took my eldest son to see iRobot at the cinema. Based on the release date this was 2004/ my son was eight. Dad was gobsmacked by the technology in that and referenced it quite often. Didn't make him want to keep going back to the cinema though. Something of an odd choice maybe, my father died in his eighties in 2010 and I'll associate iRobot with him. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Yes. Anything with a swashbuckling Errol Flynn. My mum adored him and I will watch his films if I can when they are on as like you say they give me such a warm happy feeling
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    No, my parents had terrible taste and had no sense of humour.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I used to spend hours as a kid with my dad watching westerns, where he would either tell me what had just happened or what was about to - before he nodded off. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    God no! May parents have bloody awful taste in movies. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Kelly's Heroes!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited November 2019
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show, my mom saw it 6 times upon release and the soundtrack (moreso than the movie) is part of my childhood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Breakfast at Tiffanys came out the year my parents got engaged. Moon River was “ their song” as it were. Watched it on an aeroplane last week as none of the superhero movies appealed. 
    I enjoyed it enormously, but I have to say some old movies don’t stand up too well in the modern “woke” era. I particularly felt uncomfortable with Micky Rooney as a buffoonish Chinese landlord! Doing that now would cause a real stink.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5163
    octatonic said:
    No, my parents had terrible taste and had no sense of humour.
    Snap....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22825
    edited November 2019

My dad wasn't a real movie buff or a fan of particular directors or anything like that, but he did love Westerns, war movies, science fiction, all those old films with Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas, Yul Brynner, Tony Curtis, Burt Lancaster, Errol Flynn, Danny Kaye... I guess you could say the golden age of Hollywood.  Oh, and Bond movies, of course...

I don't think there are any particular films I associate with my parents, but I do remember watching all those things with my dad - never really my mum or my stepmother - and maybe that's part of the reason I'm so into films myself.  Not sure how I acquired my particular love of horror movies, though.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Mainly the bonds.. mums a big fan. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    axisus said:
    Out of the blue today I was reminded of the old film Genevieve. I haven’t seen it for a great many years, but I smiled to myself thinking of how much my mum loves that film. It reminded me of that ‘secure’ feeling of my childhood when all in life was good. Sunday early afternoon, the smell of roast dinner permeating through the house, our Red Setter, Cherry padding around the place, windows steamed up as it was raining outside and us sat down pre-dinner watching the movie. My dad has never been greatly into films or music, but my mum is still a lover of the arts, and I could list a load of her ‘special’ films. 

Genevieve is a wonderful film. The scene at the end is so touching, when John Gregson has a frustrating stop at a zebra crossing (during a race with Kenneth More) and then an old gentleman turns up. I get a real lump in my throat at that moment!

That's a crackin' film and was the very first DVD I ever bought!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    The Man Who Would be King. Superb.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Crimson Pirate - Burt Lancaster

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Stand out film for my Dad... The Quiet Man. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

High Plains Drifter. Remember watching it several times with my Dad when I was a nipper.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    John Wayne  True Grit  was my dads 
      Yul Brynner    The king and I.  was my mums.