Classic Vibe Mustang VS American Performer

What's Hot
Got a hankering for a mustang - Had a japanese one previously but could not get on with the 7.5 radius and it had DREADFUL pickups so I swizzed it for something else that I can't remember.

I will of course try a guitar before I buy but I will be looking for a store with both a Classic Vibe mustang and an American Performer in stock - Is this worth the search? 
I love the look and sound of the American performer and I KNOW that the build quality is likely to be much better yadda yadda yadda - Is it worth paying another 600 quid for though? Wondering if the classic vibe with a few upgrades will be good enough to satiate my mustang lust. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Although it's not either of the models you have mentioned, but I recently acquired a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang from Sir Funkfingers of this parish, and whilst it has been very well fettled and fitted with excellent Lace Sensor pickups which may account for its brilliance, but it's been a lovely instrument that I've thoroughly enjoyed playing. The "skinny strat" type design and short scale make it very fun to play without having to reach very far.

My main criticism of it is that really, I've not excuse to practice now or to decide what I want to improved on etc as the instrument piece of the puzzle is more or less sorted.

Sir Funkfingers did remove the trem from it though, advising it was useless in place. Worth bearing in mind if that's a thing on Mustangs in general.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmmmm - The trem is the only reason I'm not tempted by a fender offset mustang. I know it's a different system but after having my Jaguar Trem set up correctly it's flawless, rock solid tuning stability and you can actually do some pretty mad things with it.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4198
    edited November 2019
    I actually love the Mustang trem, it's a great feeling system to use, but the Mustang bridge is a different story altogether - a hell of a lot better than the Jaguar one though!

I had a CV 'stang for a while and thought it was a really good guitar. I'd very happily have another, but I prefer them with body contours so I'd now be tempted to look at a CIJ '69/72 reissue, or even the Bullet HH model that's been released. The form factor and scale length are the main appeal for me, rather than any particular mustang sound, so my opinion might be invalid!

*edit* No wait, I think it was a VM model? Fiesta red, 9.5" radius, slab body, SS configuration... essentially a tweaked '65.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9762
    edited November 2019
    Hmmmm - The trem is the only reason I'm not tempted by a fender offset mustang.
    Isn't the Fender Offset Mustang a hardtail?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Yeah the offset is a hardtail, that's why I don't want it really. I'm a big fan of weird fender trem systems..... once they've been set up right of course
  • I actually love the Mustang trem, it's a great feeling system to use, but the Mustang bridge is a different story altogether - a hell of a lot better than the Jaguar one though!

I had a CV 'stang for a while and thought it was a really good guitar. I'd very happily have another, but I prefer them with body contours so I'd now be tempted to look at a CIJ '69/72 reissue, or even the Bullet HH model that's been released. The form factor and scale length are the main appeal for me, rather than any particular mustang sound, so my opinion might be invalid!

*edit* No wait, I think it was a VM model? Fiesta red, 9.5" radius, slab body, SS configuration... essentially a tweaked '65.
    Yeah, I think that's the VM - Also looks wonderful. Hopefully PMT Leeds have the both available to try - Although I think the VM can only be picked up second hand or very rarely these days?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14610
    Squier Vintage Modified Mustang ... Sir Funkfingers did remove the trem from it though, advising it was useless in place. Worth bearing in mind if that's a thing on Mustangs in general.
    CORRECTIONS & CLARIFICATIONS
    1. No title for me. (A gentlemen is not supposed to comment on the declining of honours. Draw your own conclusion.)
    2. It's a vibrato NOT a tremolo!
    3. I didn't remove it. I locked off the tailpiece tube with nuts and washers.
    4. I worked on a whole bunch of other things to get that VM Mustang up to scratch.
    https://i.imgur.com/l4gLD9s.jpg

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Squier Vintage Modified Mustang ... Sir Funkfingers did remove the trem from it though, advising it was useless in place. Worth bearing in mind if that's a thing on Mustangs in general.
    CORRECTIONS & CLARIFICATIONS
    1. No title for me. (A gentlemen is not supposed to comment on the declining of honours. Draw your own conclusion.)
    2. It's a vibrato NOT a tremolo!
    3. I didn't remove it. I locked off the tailpiece tube with nuts and washers.
    4. I worked on a whole bunch of other things to get that VM Mustang up to scratch.
    https://i.imgur.com/l4gLD9s.jpg

Ahh thanks for clarifying, my lack of knowledge knows no bounds. All I know is the instrument plays brilliantly, sounds good with the pickups that are now in it, and it looks pretty. As only the pretty looks are 100% inherent in the original, the OP should perhaps take my praise of Mustangs with a pinch of salt as the other things I like about it are presumably specific to (and resultant from) your work on it. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic