Filing nut slots for heavier strings, then going back to lighter strings

What's Hot
My main guitar is currently set up in E flat standard, with 10-48s. I want to use it for a while in another band that tunes to drop C, and my usual gauge for drop C is 10-60. This will almost certainly require some filing of the nut slots. My question is, if I do this and then go back to E flat or E standard, with a 48 or 46 on the bottom, will the big nut slot cause me any problems? I can't think of any reason why it would. Has anyone done something similar? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4290
    edited November 2019
    EddieVN said:
    My main guitar is currently set up in E flat standard, with 10-48s. I want to use it for a while in another band that tunes to drop C, and my usual gauge for drop C is 10-60. This will almost certainly require some filing of the nut slots. My question is, if I do this and then go back to E flat or E standard, with a 48 or 46 on the bottom, will the big nut slot cause me any problems? I can't think of any reason why it would. Has anyone done something similar? 
    There's probably a bunch of reasons why it could cause problems but all I can say is I've done this loads and never had any.

All my electrics have 10-46 on at the moment and they've all at some time or another had 13-56 where I've had to widen the slot for the string to sit in nicely. Not gone as big as a .060 though so maybe there's a tipping point where it could get problematic....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10911
    It could affect string spacing towards the nut, which could be the sort of thing you'd notice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EddieVNEddieVN Frets: 1
    edited November 2019
    roberty said:
    It could affect string spacing towards the nut, which could be the sort of thing you'd notice
    OK that makes sense. I'm loath to do anything that might bugger up this guitar's top drawer playability, but think I'm going to have to take the plunge
  • roberty said:

I don't see why it would if you cut straight down the centre, the string should still settle to the middle of the slot.

I've done this before on bass, after going from .130 back to .105 and it was fine.  I've not done it on guitar yet because I've not needed to tune back up to standard, but if I do it'll be a pretty huge jump on some guitars which are filed for .070 right now.  One of my guitars was filed for .070 and was fine with a .056, I'm using a .060 in it currently.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I use 12-60 strings and I didn't need to file anything down. What guitar is it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72783
    If the nut grooves are shaped correctly - with a smoothly rounded semi-circular bottom - then it doesn't make any difference if the strings are significantly smaller than the groove... in fact, this is the best for minimising friction since the only contact between the string and nut is a line along the bottom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dopesick said:
    I use 12-60 strings and I didn't need to file anything down. What guitar is it?
    Fender Strat made in Korea, early 80s 
    roberty said:

I don't see why it would if you cut straight down the centre, the string should still settle to the middle of the slot.

I've done this before on bass, after going from .130 back to .105 and it was fine.  I've not done it on guitar yet because I've not needed to tune back up to standard, but if I do it'll be a pretty huge jump on some guitars which are filed for .070 right now.  One of my guitars was filed for .070 and was fine with a .056, I'm using a .060 in it currently.
    My tech said he tries to avoid it cos it can affect string spacing slightly. The A string on my SG might be a fraction towards the bass side. I honestly didn't notice until it was pointed out

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited November 2019
    The bit of the string on the fretboard side of the nut doesn't look off by much to me.  It looks worse at the back obviously, but that's not the bit that determines string spacing.  Hard to tell from a photo though!  My guess is if anything this would be related to break angle of the string to the tuner, so if it was an issue it'd be less of one on a Fender/other guitar with straight string pull etc
    The bit of the string on the fretboard side of the nut doesn't look off by much to me.  It looks worse at the back obviously, but that's not the bit that determines string spacing.  Hard to tell from a photo though!  My guess is if anything this would be related to break angle of the string to the tuner, so if it was an issue it'd be less of one on a Fender/other guitar with straight string pull etc
    True, I forget other people play guitars that are actually designed well :)
  • roberty said:
    True, I forget other people play guitars that are actually designed well :)

Haha.  Honestly it's interesting, I'd never considered this aspect before
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72783
    roberty said:

My tech said he tries to avoid it cos it can affect string spacing slightly. The A string on my SG might be a fraction towards the bass side. I honestly didn't notice until it was pointed out
    A fraction of a millimetre at most - it won't make any practical difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

FWIW that guitar can withstand a the worst forms of bigsby abuse and hold its tune