Buzz - help request

What's Hot
jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
edited November 2019 in Making & Modding

When I fret the low e and g string at the 7th fret but only pick the g string, the e string buzzes.

It only happens with this note combination; if I pluck c# or d# on the g string no problem, only when I play d. 

If I tune the G string down half a step then I still only get the problem when playing the d note - but now at the eighth fret (low e still fretted at 7 but not played). 

So the e string (fretted at 7) seems to be reacting to the D frequency. Any thoughts on what might be the cause?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14578
    Erm, blindingly obvious first question. On what guitar are you experiencing these resonance issues?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Gibson J185. Does the guitar make a difference? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    jellyroll said:
    Gibson J185. Does the guitar make a difference? 
    Since I assumed you were going to say an electric guitar of some sort, yes it does :).

The first thing to work out is where the buzz is coming from - is it from the body end, or the string between the fretted position and the nut?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14578
    edited November 2019
    ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:
    Does the guitar make a difference? 
    I assumed you were going to say an electric guitar of some sort
    I also assumed the guitar in question would have a bridge/tailpiece combination with a long run of "dead" string between the two. e.g. Fender Jaguar or something with a trapeze tailpiece.

The basic phenomenon is sympathetic resonance. Something in the harmonic series overtones of the D note sounded at the seventh fret of the G string stimulates some of the harmonic series overtones of the B note held at the seventh fret on the low E string. (Good pianos do this when the damper raising pedal is used.) 

The fact that both notes are fingered eliminates nut slot or tuning post wrapping issues. The buzz must be where the low E string touches either the bridge saddle or the seventh fret. Check for wear dips in both. If the bridge saddle has ever been shaved to accommodate an under saddle transducer strip, the underside surface of the saddle may be making imperfect physical contact with the transducer.

It is difficult to suggest much else without viewing the instrument in person.

EDIT: In what condition are the wound strings? Wrap breakages can result in buzzes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @ICBM and @Funkfingers. So, after more trial and error, it turns out that it is fret buzz. When I “double fret” the E string so that it’s fretted at 6 and 7, the buzzing stops. Weird thing is that I only get the buzz when I play the G string. If I pluck B at 7 on E, there’s no buzz. I suppose it means it needs a professional  setup? 
    jellyroll said:

So, after more trial and error, it turns out that it is fret buzz. When I “double fret” the E string so that it’s fretted at 6 and 7, the buzzing stops. Weird thing is that I only get the buzz when I play the G string. If I pluck B at 7 on E, there’s no buzz.
    Is it definitely buzzing on the body side of the fretted note? That sounds more like it’s buzzing on the nut side. If so, a slight truss rod or nut height adjustment - assuming there’s any leeway to do so - will usually fix it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2019
    Yes, you’re right ICBM. I’ve just given the truss rod a quarter turn clockwise - and BINGO!  No buzz. Perfect, many thanks. 
    jellyroll said:
    Yes, you’re right ICBM. I’ve just given the truss rod a quarter turn - and BINGO!  No buzz. Perfect, many thanks. 
    Great :). Yes, I usually find this problem is microscopically sensitive to relief and nut height - any more of a gap and the string will vibrate cleanly (and silently), any less and it will touch the frets more firmly and stop the buzz.

ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:
    Yes, you’re right ICBM. I’ve just given the truss rod a quarter turn - and BINGO!  No buzz. Perfect, many thanks. 
    Great :). Yes, I usually find this problem is microscopically sensitive to relief and nut height - any more of a gap and the string will vibrate cleanly (and silently), any less and it will touch the frets more firmly and stop the buzz.
    Really appreciate your help. Many thanks.