Cheap music stand

What's Hot
Are there any good music stands out there for under £20?
It's something I've never owned but lately have had a need for one.
Recommendations welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-22046-Orchestra-Music-Stand/dp/B00Q0K716A/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=stagg+music+stand&qid=1575014732&sr=8-7

I have one of these - the Orchestral stands have a larger area and with some larger than A3 sheet music that's very useful. Much better than the finger endangering foldable things.

I've seen similar ones for under £20. Wouldn't surprise me if they are all made in the same factory and then badged accordingly.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Cheers @fretmeister ;. How small does it fold up though? The finger slicer ones go nice and small in to a bag, I assume this one doesn't?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    No - it stays big. The tripod bit will fold straight but it's not really a transportable item.

The finger slicer ones are really the only ones that are good to carry around with you.
    I've got a Stagg one of those and it's been ok for years. Apart from me catching my fingers in it!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited November 2019
    Avoid the finger slicers - they aren't that stable either.

I have a good compromise for the orchestra type stand which is plastic, the big table part is a concertina thing which means you dont have an A3 object to lug about (but I don't think it would survive being stood on by a chiunky chap like me). In my man cave I have a metal orchestra stand - both are total overkill for my iPad (as I'm trying to get away form paper based charts).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Found it !

This is what I have for on the road.  Was hard to find, I suspect it's not made anymore - I swear I got mine for £20-£25 from StudioSpares 4-5yrs ago.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • At Hobgoblin in Brum, you get a free air guitar with every stand, good deal that might be worth a look
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got mine from Amazon for £11, begins with H...Hudson I think!
  • Mine is a tiger orchestral music stand , works great for music sheets and iPads etc. The top is detachable too and it’s under £20 at Amazon eBay and others just look for sellers with good feedback
    Mine is a tiger orchestral music stand , works great for music sheets and iPads etc. The top is detachable too and it’s under £20 at Amazon eBay and others just look for sellers with good feedback
    That's the one I was looking at before I posted this thread. Plenty of reviews with the expected 'plastic joints' caveat, I just hadn't really thought about the big solid top idea before. I think I'd prefer it tbh, even if it does mean it won't fold small for stowing away. I was thinking mainly for lyric sheets, but the tablet option is appealing to me a lot now.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    The K&M orchestra one is great for putting music on, but shit for taking by public transport. I have a K&M that folds up like a finger slicer except that it's really solid by comparison and opens up to four sheets. 
  • In my real world experience I wouldn't be worried and cheapo stand and stability,  this it what I am currently using mine for with no problems whatsoever. 

'Scuse the walls cannot decide on wallpaper. :(

• There’s an Amazon Black Friday deal, where if you order any Adam and The Ants sheet music, they’ll throw in a free stand and deliver.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    In my man cave I have a metal orchestra stand - both are total overkill for my iPad (as I'm trying to get away form paper based charts). 
    Have you tried the tablet clips that connect to the mic stand? I swear by mine and also have a bluetooth floor pedal for scrolling and page turning. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    DiscoStu said:
    Cheers @fretmeister ;. How small does it fold up though? The finger slicer ones go nice and small in to a bag, I assume this one doesn't?
    I have that model or one very similar and it does collapse and dismantle into a flat bag with carry handles. Quite heavy and unwieldy though, mine stays permanently erected (gosh). Incredibly useful things. This model with holes in the stand is great for raising pedals to hand height as leads can be threaded through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    DiscoStu said:
    I have that model or one very similar and it does collapse and dismantle into a flat bag with carry handles. Quite heavy and unwieldy though, mine stays permanently erected (gosh). Incredibly useful things. This model with holes in the stand is great for raising pedals to hand height as leads can be threaded through.

Top tip!
    @fretmeister @jezwynd, see the sheet grip arms on the top of the Stagg one, can you move them totally out of the way if needs be? The Tiger stand doesn't have the arms so weighing up flexibility vs. need. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    DiscoStu said:
    @fretmeister @jezwynd, see the sheet grip arms on the top of the Stagg one, can you move them totally out of the way if needs be? The Tiger stand doesn't have the arms so weighing up flexibility vs. need. 
    The version I use does not have the grip arms but I’ve never noticed the lack of them. It probably depends what type of media you are going to use - if you’re wanting to view hard back books then they may come in handy but I generally have soft cover A4+ size books that have no problem staying open, or else I use A4 print out sheets. You could always use a large elastic band around the open book and stand if necessary.