iPad for recording

What's Hot
Hi all

For a while I have been considering getting an iPad to record on. I believe that Garage Band is the standard programme for doing this.

While I am not incompetent with computers, and have done sound editing (pre-recorded samples and so on for radio jingles and so on) the last music recording I did was on a cassette 4-track.

So, to do the following, what would be the right spec to go for?

* recording my own guitar/ bass
* sound editing (ie cutting out a good guitar line to use elsewhere, cutting out mistakes)
* recording via a mic (vocals/ basic percussion)

I don't want to get into anything high end, nor do I want to buy something new that's effectively obsolete. 

I am hoping to use the iPad to get down my ideas and do some credible work, but it's also something to learn on.

What would you guys be looking for?

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    There are two YT channels you should definitely check out:

Dan Baker's

Now, notice that he does all of this with just a cheap and effective plug-in iOS mic. Many of his early videos were done with just the iPad's built-in mic, too.

Pete Johns':

He does a lot of add-on reviews for interfaces, mics, etc.

Both are proof that the iPad is capable. A 2018 iPad will definitely do for these projects. I think Dan uses a iPad Air 2.

Good luck!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that - i like the idea of the lo-fi approach of using the iPad mic. I tend to get my ideas down on my phone (Android) for reference and the quality on that - even with random placing and me talking to explain bits of the tune to the future me - is pretty good.
  • You also have Cubasis too , plus loads of other cool stuff 
  • Is Cubasis available on the iPad? 
  • Yes , it’s usually on offer around xmas/thanksgiving time too
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    How many simultaneous input channels do you need?
  • I'm recording demos and ideas in progress. I once wanted to learn how to use Logic Pro, but it's so much easier to just use the iPad and GarageBand. The internal mic and headphones (or earbuds) is fine for ideas. Totally portable. I've got a cheap iTrack Pocket (powered by the iPad) if I want stereo mics or to plug in the guitar. Totally usable and has an analogue preamp to control input levels and clipping. . 

At home, I have an inexpensive audio interface - a PreSonus ITwo - that has two inputs for mics and guitar leads. This plugs into a USB port (PC/Mac) or a Lightning port (iDevice). 

I love Dan Bakers channel. Informative and inspiring. 
  • I use Garageband - it's under-rated imho. Some learning curve to get through but probably worth it.
  • Branshen said:
    How many simultaneous input channels do you need?
    To start with I suppose I will only need to record one thing at once. It's just me trying to get ideas down.

What I hope to be able to do is sample my own percussion, edit and loop it too. I don't have a drum kit and dont like preset beats (I usually know what sort of beat I want and I can always tap it out).

The iPad can handle a fair few inputs. I've used mine with iRig Pro Duo and now a RME UFX.

The drums you can tap in via the many drumkits on screen in GB. That said, I also tend to hate preset beats, but the way you can tweak GB's built-in drummers is brilliant.
  • That's good to know @goldtop ;

If I had, say, £600, what spec should I go for? I'm one of those people who doesn't quite understand the trend for small internal memory/ storage so that's a concern of mine. 
  • There is a good resource on YouTube plus ebooks called Thegaragebandguide
    @MartinBush - that's a moving target of a question. I got a 32GB 2018 iPad as it was just £225 (near-new used). I tried to find one with 128GB, but couldn't. For sure the iPad Pro's are a bit faster, but there was some weird oddity with iOS+Pro and many DAW users had teething trouble for audio.

Anyway, I used Dan Baker's 32 tracks of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on iPhone SE as a benchmark for the type of project I might want to achieve, saw that he managed with the iPhone SE's computing power to do it, and then used this guide - https://blakespot.com/ios_device_specifications_grid.html - to find an iPad with broadly similar spec.

For me, the reason I say "moving target" is that Apple's iOS updates frequently play havoc with DAW operation. Or else a new version of a DAW requires an iOS update which may run slower. Which is why mine has no wifi connection. After updating GB and Cubasis (which has MIDI Out support), I switched off network access and treat it as a little box on its own. No new kits, no new instruments, no new software. So with the interface it works like a modern version of those digital multitrackers I used to use.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 253
    edited December 2019
    That's good advice. I dont particularly want to use the iPad for the internet, but if I wanted to download say a plugin or perhaps upload a finished tune to band camp or whatever would I then run the risk of the iOS updating?

EDIT - having re-read the post above, the answer is in there :)