1952 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop For Sale - not mine

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 7162
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2537785483103329/

that's got to literally be worth billions surely?
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rick's got some stunning vintage stuff just come up. There's a 345 and a SG special in particular that caught my eye.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, case queen or what? 67ish years old and hardly a mark on it, or the case lining, no discolouring on the inlays, wow again. Would have liked to see the back of course.
  • Looks lovely. Having previously owned and sold a '52 conversion and an all original '54 ( nothing like as clean as that ), I would say that is a really fair price for a nice piece of history. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    '52s aren't worth that much, because of the odd bridge - which if it's the original, makes the guitar very hard to play because the strings wrap under the bar. That one has a modern replacement bridge with a lowered bar fitted, so it can be strung normally (and intonated properly as well).

The price is pretty much what I would expect for one with the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7162
    ICBM said:
    '52s aren't worth that much, because of the odd bridge - which if it's the original, makes the guitar very hard to play because the strings wrap under the bar. That one has a modern replacement bridge with a lowered bar fitted, so it can be strung normally (and intonated properly as well).

he states that the original bridge is included though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Actually not really, it's a technique thing, like adapting to switching between a Tele and a Super 400 or something.  But, yes, a modified bridge makes things a lot more straightforward.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    tony99 said:

I know. It probably doesn't increase the value though, it's purely for completeness - most players wouldn't want to put it back on.

If I remember rightly the cases from the '52s aren't worth stupid money either, because they were made for the flatter neck angle of the guitars and hence don't fit a later model with the stopbar or tune-o-matic.

Not putting it down at all by the way, I like these exactly because of the low neck angle... but I still don't have £20K to spend on a guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7162
    ICBM said:
    tony99 said:

... but I still don't have £20K to spend on a guitar.
    well we'll go halves then, I'll work out a rota
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Awesome!!!