Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wireless systems. Pearls of wisdom please.

What's Hot
EddieVNEddieVN Frets: 1
I am considering moving into wireless territory. I have always been against it because surely there must be some signal degradation no matter how good the unit is, but we are playing on some big stages in the coming few months and I am being talked into it.
Does anyone have experience of mid- and higher-end units? Is there always a perceptible change in tone? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    The modern digital wireless equipment is pretty good. Not like the old analogue stuff. The main difference I’ve found is that you no longer have high frequency loss due to the capacitance of several metres of guitar cable. Think of Hendrix and his curly leads. So in practice any degradation comes from using a lead rather from using a wireless.

How much more higher frequencies you get with wireless depends on both your guitar electrics and the length of cable you’re used to using. On top of that whether it’s noticeable depends on what type of music you play. So with a Tele playing country it‘s more likely to be noticeable than with a PRS playing Foo Fighters. If you don’t notice any difference between a 2m lead in the rehearsal room and a 6m lead on stage then it’s probably not going to matter.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    At home/jam/small do volumes on the stock settings I find the Smoothhound system definitely brighter than a cable, but only marginally so. The receiver has options to let you "fake" the drop a cable would give you if you need it. There's certainly no loss of tone, more a boost in clarity.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I bought a shure wireless / tuner pedal. Pretty expensive but great reviews. No issues and sounds exactly the same as cable to me.

• I use a G10 live and it all sounds great. 
  • I use a line 6 r30 for years.  Very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I use a line 6 r30 for years.  Very good. 
    Same here.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    I use the Smoothound unit too and can recommend it. Doesn't sound any different to using a cable instead to me.

The only issue I had was with fuzz pedals that like to be directly connected to the guitar with no buffers in between.
    The fuzz didn't sound right when its input is connected to the wireless receiver. I should add however, that this is likely to be an issue common with all wireless systems, not just the Smoothound one I was using.
  • Roland said:
    The modern digital wireless equipment is pretty good. Not like the old analogue stuff. The main difference I’ve found is that you no longer have high frequency loss due to the capacitance of several metres of guitar cable. Think of Hendrix and his curly leads. So in practice any degradation comes from using a lead rather from using a wireless.

How much more higher frequencies you get with wireless depends on both your guitar electrics and the length of cable you’re used to using. On top of that whether it’s noticeable depends on what type of music you play. So with a Tele playing country it‘s more likely to be noticeable than with a PRS playing Foo Fighters. If you don’t notice any difference between a 2m lead in the rehearsal room and a 6m lead on stage then it’s probably not going to matter.
    The music is metal, but I use as little gain as I can get away with (for the rhythm tone anyway). 

OK, well this has enlightened me somewhat. 

No-one's noticed any latency at all? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    EddieVN said:
    Roland said:

The music is metal, but I use as little gain as I can get away with (for the rhythm tone anyway). 

OK, well this has enlightened me somewhat. 

No-one's noticed any latency at all? 
    I'm quite sensitive to latency and can easily pick it up in the studio down to around 8ms, but my Line 6 G10 comes in at around 4-5ms depending on frequency and I can't hear or feel it being any worse than a cable. 

Put it another way, the real delay between the sound waves leaving your amp and hitting your ears can be way more than that on a big stage. Add the two together however and you can start to feel it a little, but no more than you would if you were a long way from your amps with a long lead. 
  • The other guitarist in my band has shelled out on a Line 6 G90. A couple of you have recommended the G10, which has a vastly more attractive price tag... if the tone & latency are fine on the G10, are you just paying for longer battery life & range, and fancier displays as you move up the range? 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited December 2019
    Another G10 user here, used it on big stages, outdoor gigs, sounds great and never had an issue with it

Edit, I lied, mines a G30
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    G30 user for years.
    No detectable latency so must be 3ms or less.
    No signal degradation.
    Way more than 30m range.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I use an Audio Technica System 10 - another great unit and I have yet to hear any dropouts or change in tone really outside what already been mentioned.

Andertons have an offer on at the moment..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/audio-technica-stompbox-digital-wireless-system-atw1501?lgw_code=16284-ATW1501&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI-EzZGc5gIVCbLtCh00IAxLEAQYAiABEgLwtPD_BwE
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    edited December 2019
    Had a line 6 G10 and it was good until the base stopped working ( usb Power ) now using smoothound and its just as good. It seems better built so hopefully last longer than the 30 or so gigs the line 6 did. I do prefer using batteries rather than recharging the line 6 wireless as i can just leave it packed until next gig ( i get at least 4 gigs on 2 AAA )
  • welshboyo said:
    I use an Audio Technica System 10 - another great unit and I have yet to hear any dropouts or change in tone really outside what already been mentioned.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/audio-technica-stompbox-digital-wireless-system-atw1501?lgw_code=16284-ATW1501&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI-EzZGc5gIVCbLtCh00IAxLEAQYAiABEgLwtPD_BwE

Blimey, that’s quite a deal. And it’s an ABY splitter

I might just go for that

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited December 2019
    EddieVN said:
    welshboyo said:

Blimey, that’s quite a deal. And it’s an ABY splitter

I might just go for that

I came from a Smoothhound to the AT system - I was getting bad dropouts and frequency clashes with the Smoothhound - the AT system has just worked flawlessly since day 1 - I've also managed to source some extra transmitters so I can now smoothly change guitars etc.

Battery usage is the only downside - it can be a little heavy (2 gigs a pair of AA's) but I use rechargeable ones anyway so not an issue
  • Went to Andertons yesterday and got the Audio Technica stompbox one. Two thumbs up! 
  • I'm thinking of getting one for xmas. Do any of the above-mentioned sets take a 9v pedal power supply for the base, at least?
  • I'm thinking of getting one for xmas. Do any of the above-mentioned sets take a 9v pedal power supply for the base, at least?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm thinking of getting one for xmas. Do any of the above-mentioned sets take a 9v pedal power supply for the base, at least?

The Line 6 G30 does, not sure about the others