Reaper 6 is out!

What's Hot
Looks like version 6 has been released :-)

Time for me to update my licence.

Would be interested to hear how people get on with the new version. Do post your comments.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 300
    This could be handy:

Embedding some plugin UIs into track and mixer control panels.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah, crap, my license ran out at 5.99!

I'll get round to it in the new year...not doing a lot of recording at the moment (in fact, Reaper's no more than a glorified VST host for me right now).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Me too :) though I got 8.25 years out of the last one so... wow, can't complain at that.

Not 100% sold on all aspects of the new theme but I imagine that I'll get used to it and it'll be tweaked and improved over time (and we can always revert back to 5.0 look and feel or any of the zillions available).

The embedded plugin UI feature is quite effective:

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Thanks for the heads up man, been waiting on this forever it seems; I too need a new license.

Loving that integrated EQ thing!

Something I've seen on Pro Tools that possibly isn't very useful but is pretty cool looking is that the mixer has a total gain reduction meter from all compressor plugins on the track. Any idea if Reaper 6 has something like that?
    Okay after reading the changelog I think my initial excitement was a bit optimistic, I don't think there's really anything mentioned that affects me lol.
  • thegummy said:
    Okay after reading the changelog I think my initial excitement was a bit optimistic, I don't think there's really anything mentioned that affects me lol.
    Yeah, there's nothing massively exciting me either (although the MIDI editor changes look cool). I'll buy it anyway, because software of Reaper's quality, at Reaper's price, should be encouraged.

Also, they support Linux natively, which is hella cool for me.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    digitalscream said:

I'll buy it anyway, because software of Reaper's quality, at Reaper's price, should be encouraged.
    Totally agree with that though unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy for that reason at the moment.

Valhalla is another company that I love for its honest pricing of high quality software.
  • Time for me to get a new licence as well. Been using Reaper since v1, which is over 12 years.
    It's not a competition.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I moved over to Reaper about 18 months ago, bought the license after about a week of use-seeing it's potential, so was expecting to have to pay again with this update.
    Any normal reservations about being an early adopter didn't really bother me--it takes seconds to DL and install, so would be a simple thing to downgrade anyway.
    There was a definite performance upgrade, and at first I didn't notice much difference between my old install and the new-I use Commala 5 as a skin, and 6 has built in script for customisation. 
    I did the upgrade on my main machine-2009 MBP, I5,16g ram, running off SSD, and was reassured that I will continue to love Reapers awesomeness, so just for kicks I did the upgrade to my B rig, which is a lower spec Asus Zenbook PC with a fixed 4g ram, also running off SSD and with an I7, only has an 11 inch screen, so the new 6 default theme works very well there, it moves some buttons around, which will take a bit of getting used to, but looks great so far.
    One thing I do like, is the new wiring view, which is brilliant. helps to see how stuff is routed, and is great for getting into some of the projects that are unfamiliar-Slate and PLP projects. I only wish I could find a way to PRINT a copy for my records, I'm sure I will find a way.
    I was also pleasantly surprised to find the license I already have is valid up to 7.99, so 2 full versions--very generous.
  • I've just used it for free for years, and keep getting the pop up, so it's about time I gave them some money so will upgrade next week!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I've used Cubase since the year dot but never used Reaper. I'm interested in trying it. How does it compare to Cubase and do I need to take a different approach?
  • I installed it last night just to try embedding reaEQ :)

Im already usign a customer skin though so didnt see any of the other new goodies.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philtre said:
    I've used Cubase since the year dot but never used Reaper. I'm interested in trying it. How does it compare to Cubase and do I need to take a different approach?
    Yeah you need to expect your rendered mixdown to actually sound like session :)

To be fair I abandoned cubase at SX so I assume they've fixed that 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ