Blocked my Strat trem, help please

What's Hot
Just got my first Strat but didn’t want the trem option so I’ve taken the easy option of just putting extra springs on it. Do I need to do anything else? It doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Also, is it easy to raise the action ( as it’s obviously now lower) or should I get it done professionally? Thanks in advance for any help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Block of wood in the gap first then increase the tension a bit on the spring claw.
  • I have mine hard back so it doesn't move with normal play but I can still bend down if I want. 
    It's easy enough to adjust the height with the right tool. You will probably need to adjust the intonation a bit after.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited December 2019
    If it’s locked down firmly it should be okay but it wouldn’t do any harm to put a tight fitting block of wood behind the block. It might also be a great idea to check that the intonation and action are still good to go.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14244
    tFB Trader
    If the trem is now flat to the body, then no need for any additional block - Some choose 5 springs to keep it firm and maybe add a  touch of extra 'resonance'

Ref action - tweak each saddle accordingly - Best to do a 1/4 or 1/2 turn on each saddle, re-tune, check and then adjust accordingly as required - ie a bit at a time - Then finally check the intonation - If it was fine before then chances are any change will be minimal - Note, on the bridge saddle, once adjusted there should be a curve on the saddles from E to E that matches the fingerboard, so G + D are the highest saddles
  • Thanks everyone 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited December 2019
    If you need to raise the saddles then loosen the strings first. I learned the hard way that if you don't do this the strings can exert enough  pressure to stop the saddles moving thus resulting in stripped threads when the adjustment screws were turned. Admittedly this was on a cheap guitar so the saddles were probably pot metal, but I've always loosened the strings since.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom