2»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited December 2019
    andyp said:
    It’s not the same level of guitar, but I had the nut replaced on my SG Faded and it fixed my tuning issues altogether. Night and day.

The bigsby on my anchor stud vos 335 was unusable with the stock nut. The D and A strings would return to pitch 20 cents sharp every time. This was after it had been filed by a tech. Not an inexpensive guitar. A graphtech sorted it right out. No wonder people rag on Gibson, it was pretty shocking to start with and not just for the price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
    edited December 2019
    Wrong thread. Please delete!
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    I've never liked the look of the Gibson SG, but that one goes a long way towards changing my mind. A cracking looking guitar!
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1303
    edited December 2019
    roberty said:
    andyp said:
    It’s not the same level of guitar, but I had the nut replaced on my SG Faded and it fixed my tuning issues altogether. Night and day.

The bigsby on my anchor stud vos 335 was unusable with the stock nut. The D and A strings would return to pitch 20 cents sharp every time. This was after it had been filed by a tech. Not an inexpensive guitar. A graphtech sorted it right out. No wonder people rag on Gibson, it was pretty shocking to start with and not just for the price
    John from Mastery told me that the disadvantage he has seen with the Graphtech Tusq XL nuts is that they wear quicker than bone.

Otherwise, I have had good success with Big Bends Nut Sauce as a lubricant, though the Graphtech is definitely less work once it has been done.

I have a couple of Bigsby (well Duesenberg Tremola) equipped Fenders with Mastery bridges. The nuts on both of these are bone and even without any lubrication tuning stability is good, though I guess the fact that the strings don’t fan out at the nut is the factor there

Though vibrato units on guitars with Tuneomatics and Gibson/Gretsch style headstock tuner alignments tend to be a bit unpredictable. Some people seem to have ones which work perfectly with  no extra work invested, others take a lot of extra steps