Good pup upgrade for an Epi SG?

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
I love my old Epi SG; no matter how many guitars I get or whatever passes through my hands, it's still probably the best playing and most rewarding guitar I have.

However, I've been thinking of a pickup upgrade for it recently. I'm considering a pair of '57 Classics, as I've got an Epi LP Tribute Plus fitted with a pair and they sound huge (plus the new SG Standards have them fitted). I wondered if anybody else had any suggestions though - above all, I'm not out to sound like anybody in particular, I just fancy something with a bit of clout that doesn't mush up too much at higher gain/volume, but sounds half decent clean as well. A good all rounder, if you will.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If you're working on a budget get some Tonerider Alnico II classics. They're about £75 to £80 a set and are great pickups irrespective of price. If you fancy something a little farther up the food chain Ash's Blitz Spirits are Alnico II PAF alikes as well. His pickups are as good as anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    I had an Epi SG that I played for ages and really regretted trading in. On a different note it was the only perfectly balanced SG I've ever owned...no neck dive at all...aaannnyway. The last set of pick ups I had in that was a Tonerider Rocksong in the bridge and a Rebel 90 in the neck. That set up could do pretty much anything. I even put a coil tap on the bridge humbucker. Got the pickups in a MIJ Tokai Les Paul now and they work great in that too, but I really miss that Epi :(
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, a P90 and PAF combination is always good in an SG. Tonerider or Irongear are both good, but if you can stretch to something made to order from one of our local winder chaps, they are worlds better.

JookyChap said:
    Yeah, a P90 and PAF combination is always good in an SG. Tonerider or Irongear are both good, but if you can stretch to something made to order from one of our local winder chaps, they are worlds better.
    Agreed. I've got an Oil City Mighty 90 in a Melody Maker that absolutely rocks....cheers Ash :)
    One of those in the neck and a hot PAF type in the bridge would be something.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Nunogilberto;16944" said:
    I love my old Epi SG; no matter how many guitars I get or whatever passes through my hands, it's still probably the best playing and most rewarding guitar I have.

However, I've been thinking of a pickup upgrade for it recently. I'm considering a pair of '57 Classics, as I've got an Epi LP Tribute Plus fitted with a pair and they sound huge (plus the new SG Standards have them fitted). I wondered if anybody else had any suggestions though - above all, I'm not out to sound like anybody in particular, I just fancy something with a bit of clout that doesn't mush up too much at higher gain/volume, but sounds half decent clean as well. A good all rounder, if you will.
    Looks like we're on the same mission! I was asking the exact same about my old Epi Sg a few days back. Im probably going to go for the Irongear Alchemist p90s. I'm very aware of trying not to throw too much money at it
    Although ive just asked Ash which OilCity ones hed recmmend. Im such a pushover.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've always found irongear to be a good upgrade of whatever pickups I'm taking out.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have an old Gibson SG which had nasty fizzy DiMarzios in it when I bought it. It now has Seymour Duncans, a 59 and a JB. Its  possible those pickups could also be good in an Epiphone.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Jb & 59 set, it's hard to beat in most guitars
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    A Suhr SSV, DSV or DSH would work well I think.

I also love the Fred/Paf Pro combination in every guitar I've thrown it in and its not just a Satch thing.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I don't really like SD's but I've been impressed by all the Irongear p/u's I've tried and even more impressed by Oil City's offerings.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    drwiddly said:
    I don't really like SD's but I've been impressed by all the Irongear p/u's I've tried and even more impressed by Oil City's offerings.
    That's interesting… I've always liked almost every Duncan I've ever tried (with some exceptions, eg the Li'l '59) but hated every Irongear I've heard - they always sound harsh and unsubtle to me. I've never understood why they're so rated, even for the money… the stock pickups in a lot of guitars are better.

Each to their own, obviously! 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Phil_aka_Pip;251913" said:
    I have an old Gibson SG which had nasty fizzy DiMarzios in it when I bought it. It now has Seymour Duncans, a 59 and a JB. Its  possible those pickups could also be good in an Epiphone.
    Which positions did you have them in, Phil? I saw a recent Youtube video where somebody had fitted a 59 and JB to their Epi SG and it sounded quite good.

Thanks to all for your suggestions btw.
  • ICBM;252351" said:
    drwiddly said:

That's interesting… I've always liked almost every Duncan I've ever tried (with some exceptions, eg the Li'l '59) but hated every Irongear I've heard - they always sound harsh and unsubtle to me. I've never understood why they're so rated, even for the money… the stock pickups in a lot of guitars are better.

Have you tried the tesla sharks? They're the only ones I've heard after fitting them in a Tremonti se, and they're fab, they replaced a Duncan jb (which was too bright and harsh) and a stock se neck (which was a shitty muddy pickup that let the guitar down).

I could live with the jb, I quite like the aggressive sounds it does, but the tesla sharks were warm, fat but very clear.

This was back when a set was quite a bit cheaper... Now they're not a million miles from oil city/mojo/bulldog prices and I'd rather go for them.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Nunogilberto I believe the 59 is at the neck and the JB is at the bridge, but I'd hate to swear to it 'cos I can't tell the difference by looking at them. To me, they're just nice sounding pickups.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have a 59 set in my V100 and it doesn't have a load of mids. It's brighter than I expected. Probably a good match with a JB which is very middy. However, I'd also considered this combo for my SG but when I searched on the Seymour Duncan forums a lot of people were saying JBs were totally wrong for sgs and everything dissolved into a mush because it's quite a middy guitar to begin with. Everything is subjective of course. Thats the risk you're taking with replacement pups isn't it? You actually won't know for sure until you do it.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    @Samgb - Strange, that - I wouldn't have had the SG down as such a middy guitar, but like you say - only one way to find out with pickups, I guess...
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Those of you recommending Iron Gears for this: which ones? I see a vote for Tesla Sharks, I'm just wondering about the rest. I have an Epi LP that will be due some soon, and as it doesn't have a maple top it's basically the same wood. I'm looking for hard/classic rock sort of stuff that smooths out with the volume or tone dialled back.
    ICBM;252351" said:
    drwiddly said:

Have you tried the tesla sharks? They're the only ones I've heard after fitting them in a Tremonti se, and they're fab, they replaced a Duncan jb (which was too bright and harsh) and a stock se neck (which was a shitty muddy pickup that let the guitar down).

I could live with the jb, I quite like the aggressive sounds it does, but the tesla sharks were warm, fat but very clear.

This was back when a set was quite a bit cheaper... Now they're not a million miles from oil city/mojo/bulldog prices and I'd rather go for them.
    I've got a tesla shark in (yet)another one of my melody makers (6 at the moment but two have gotta go!!). Replaced the nasty overwound ceramic Gibson thing in it and it gave the guitar a much more usable sound. Plenty of crunch but sweeter and easier to clean up off the volume. I like it for the money but still prefer the Toneriders.
  • Yeah, I have to admit, they're not that cheap these days to be honest...