This weeks eBay woes...

LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
Needed some stuff gone, £1 listings, thought i'd give it a try. I list two items, first one goes no problem. Second one (an old guitar interface) stays on for a while before someone starts asking questions about it, will it work with this etc. He puts in a best offer for and i accept at £6 less. 

I later get a message asking what it comes with, manuals installation cd etc. The listing clearly states, "unit only" so i message him to say, it's the unit only, but helpfully point him towards all the online manuals that are available, and where he can get the software (its all line 6, so available there).

I send i unit, and upon receipt immediately get a message saying "There's no cable!?!?!" to which i reply, as stated in listing and in messages, it is the unit only. I then helpfully point him towards which cable he needs, it's a basic USB A-B, so a printer cable, I also link him to an eBay listing with it for £2.39.

Next message says cables are £5 and he wants to return it, so he has activated an eBay return.. stating that the unit is defective and in the comments 'doesn't work'.  This means via ebay, i have to pay postage for the return, and refund the original amount + original postage. I'm fairly pissed off at this point.

I send a message (i got Mrs. L to re-write it to keep the tone neutral), to clarify that the unit is not broken just that he has just not read the listing or his messages and has just changed his mind. I question the £5 figure and I even offer a partial refund to cover the cost of a cable. 

"Hi Thanks for mail Will return for refund thankd"

Bit more messaging, he has now confirmed that the unit is not broken, and he would pay postage, but he can't change return reason on eBay. This still leaves me liable to refund the original postage. 
This still leaves me pissed off.

At this point i don't know whether to just swallow it and accept return, or escalate it to eBay since he has confirmed in message that it is not broken and that he put the wrong return option. My concern here is that eBay will automatically side with him and make matters worse.. 

Happy Monday Everyone!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Welcome to the eBay selling lottery! 

If you can get him to pay the postage I’d probably just accept it back to save more hassle. You could ask him to make a PayPal payment outside eBay to cover it, though that may be against their policy so will leave you a bit open if he reports you.

Failing that you could escalate to eBay. If he’s admitted in writing that it’s working you might have a chance of success. ‘Might’ being the operative word...
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Call ebay and explain it to them, if you're conversation has been through ebay chat i believe they'll be able to see all that has been said.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    King85 said:
    Call ebay and explain it to them, if you're conversation has been through ebay chat i believe they'll be able to see all that has been said.
    Yeah i did that, they have recommended that i accept the refund, not send a postage label, and then do a partial refund through paypal when returned..