I've gone and done it. J Mascis Jazzmaster

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I went 'an dun it innit, and sold it, and finkin about doin it again innit, but are there thinner from back to front Squier neck profiles than the JM? The neck wasn't as "awesome" to me as folk made out on t'internet....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    I went 'an dun it innit, and sold it, and finkin about doin it again innit, but are there thinner from back to front Squier neck profiles than the JM? The neck wasn't as "awesome" to me as folk made out on t'internet....
    The JMJM has quite a chunky profile, which is what people like about it.

A regular Squier VM or Classic Vibe neck profile is a thinner “modern c” shape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I’m sure I remember someone on here saying that, the neck is similar to the Rory Gallagher Strat neck.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @duotone Yes I read that too, so maybe the solution is a strat neck if I'm looking for a JM with a thin profile... or as suggested above a VM or CV.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    @duotone Yes I read that too, so maybe the solution is a strat neck if I'm looking for a JM with a thin profile... or as suggested above a VM or CV.
    Or 3 minutes with a sander 

I don't recall the jmjm neck being that monstrous.

It is really quite different to a VM or whatever the other squiers are called now days.
    The pickups are more p90 like, the TOM and the vibrato position. Bigger frets, satin neck etc.

From my experience the jmjm always felt like a better guitar to play. And I say that as an owner of a 7.25 radius JM with vintage frets and all that "original" jazz.

I am really out of the game when it comes to used prices but I think you might be better served with a mim or a mij (assuming prices aren't daft)
    Saying that, each comes with its own pitfalls (electrics on the mij) but the neck profile should be your bag
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom