Now X-T3 - PSA for the Fuji Fanboys and Girls

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5766
    goldtop said:
    The persuasive stuff for me on IBIS are the charts that one of the camera review websites provides. It shows how the percentage of 'keepers' at various shutter speeds changes wit/without IS. In all cases, there's a marked improvement over the non-IS keepers. That makes it clear to me that in one-off shots - the stuff that comes and goes - you are far better off with IS.

For those shots where you have time to prepare/compose, I suppose it's not so necessary. I don't currently do much video, so that's less relevant for me.

FWIW, it was the lack of IBIS on the X-T3 that made me look at the X-H1 and then I found the FF Sony A7ii. As the size comparison above shows, it was an easy decision.
    I’ve been wondering lately why I’ve never even been drawn to looking at Sony. Everything they do seems pretty exquisite and beautifully built. Maybe Sony is just not a name I equate with artistic endeavours??

I don’t even know where I stand on IBIS or lens stabilisation. I always went out of my way to avoid Canon IS lenses, as I don’t like the look they create but so far I’m not really noticing it at all in the H1. The more organic way of using the camera and the improved af over my previous Canons are what I’d credit with a rise in my hit rate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    dazzajl said:
    X-T3 with the battery grip now £919 after cash back in the WEX sale. 

That's about a £300 reduction in the price it remained at from launch until around Black Friday of this year. I wonder why the sudden reductions? It's too early yet for an X-T4 to appear.

FWIW I've not really taken to the X-T3 after a month of use and far prefer the handling and viewfinder position of my X-E3. That's got me looking at the X-Pro3, although it needs to to drop a lot in price before being a serious option.
    Jimbro66 said:
    dazzajl said:
    X-T3 with the battery grip now £919 after cash back in the WEX sale. 

That's about a £300 reduction in the price it remained at from launch until around Black Friday of this year. I wonder why the sudden reductions? It's too early yet for an X-T4 to appear.

FWIW I've not really taken to the X-T3 after a month of use and far prefer the handling and viewfinder position of my X-E3. That's got me looking at the X-Pro3, although it needs to to drop a lot in price before being a serious option.
    Interesting that the T hasn’t gelled for you the way that the E has. I love the E3 too by the way, it’s been my gateway drug to a family of X cameras. 

Didn’t the X-Pro 2 stay above the £1300 mark until the last few weeks? Doesn’t bode well for big price drops on the 3 while it’s a current model. 

Do you feel there’s a significant difference in the look of the shots you’ve got from the E3 and T3?
  • To be honest comparing the fuji kit (bar the xh1) to sony/canon/nikon is missing the point. A better comparison is the m43 kit - beautiful aesthetics, dials and buttons for usability rather than the less-than-great DSLR and Sony mirror less set ups...

They're just fun. 

I traded mine in for a Canon DSLR because I prefer it. 

Regards IS, I love it. The Sony IS is awful compared to M43... But it's a stop or two better than none! The xh-1 was, to me, better IS, but it still wasn't as good as m43 IS. Smaller sensors are easier to stabilise perhaps? 

One thing I'll say about the xh1 is the ergonomics and the built are second to none. I really mean that - even the shutter has this remarkable sound. Quiet and precise - it puts me in mind of a leica, but it's not the same "scchnick" of a cloth. Lots of very happy owners - just try and see if you like. 

I love evf but I found I vastly preferred the lenses and the physical ergos of an SLR, even as a casual shooter. The fuji was just a bit small... But not small enough at the same time! I'd prefer a small camera to be olympus m43 size (or smaller). 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    In parallel with buying the Sony A7ii, I also bought into the Oly M43 system, with both an E-M10ii and E-M1! I was so indecisive, I bought and tried both. The IBIS is definitely better in the Oly M43 cameras, but I just prefer the Sony IQ. I'm slowly selling off the M43 stuff.

And for me, a Live View + Settings EVF is far more useful than an OVF. I don't have a photographer's brain and I lack the imagination to shoot in B+W unless I can actually see the image in B+W when composing.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    edited December 2019
    Jimbro66 said:

I started with an X-E2 as my first Fuji (having moved from Canon DSLRs and Sony NEX) and the AF was dreadful. I moved up to an X-T1 pretty quickly and loved it. But the AF and video weren't great.

When the X-T2 came out it fixed many of the AF and video issues but I just couldn't afford it. So some time later the X-T20 was announced and I bought one and traded my X-T1 in. I missed the big EVF but loved the X-Txx form factor. Some time later after price drops and better financial circumstances meant I could order an X-T2. And discovered that I'd fallen so far for the X-T20 form factor I really didn't like the X-T2 at all. I sent it back and kept the X-T20.

And that's what's holding me back from this X-T3 deal. While there are functions I'd love to have in my X-T30, I'm not convinced I would love the the X-T3 more. And I feel I've found the form factor I really like. It's funny that the X-Tx line feel so huge given I used to mainly use a Canon EOS 50D with a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, but you get used to things. 

Makes perfect sense @Grumpyrocker ;

I found the X T3 lacking in heft to make me feel I had an invincible work tool in my hands. The H1 has just enough more bulk, mass and general ruggedness to do the job. 

But in a rangefinder style, I’m very happy with petite and discreet. Makes no sense at all and defies logic but that’s how it is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom