Help me dial in a fender blues jr for drive sounds please!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I'm gigging at the weekend but my mini jcm800 is out of action.

I've been lent a fender blues jr. I'm struggling to dial in drive sounds with it as I'm so used to jcm800's.

Can anyone give me some pointers or some settings to try?? I'm playing with discharge at the weekend so I want to sound half decent!!

I'll be plugging in a les paul and I have a tubescreamer and an sd1 if needed.

Thanks in advance!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Buy one of these quick...

:)

You won't get a proper Marshall-type sound out of a Blues Junior, with or without a TS/SD-1 - it's too middy, congested and boxy, and the pedal will just make it worse. You'll even struggle with a Guv'nor, although if you set the amp for the biggest clean sound you can - master and bass up full, mid and gain down, treble wherever it sounds right - then you might get into the right ballpark.

Better to borrow a different amp though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2578
    tFB Trader
    ICBM beat me to it, I would even consider buying a pedal with a DI out to the board over using the BJ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2362
    Modulus - you mean like a Digitech screaming blues or tone driver? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7418
    the Blues Jr is best dialled into a skip , imho 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

love the Blues Junior.

Fixed over 40 this year:a new record.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Go to the wardrobe in the spare room, then at the back, down at the bottom behind those boots you didn't know you'd kept, no not those, the green ones, and you'll probably find a 1990s Zoom pedal of some description covered in dust. 

Don't worry it'll still work, set it to "plexi" and go direct to desk, then use the Blues Junior to put your pint on and maybe as a makeshift monitor, if you must. 

It won't sound great, but it will be more or less usable and you're far more likely to be pleasantly surprised than cruelly disappointed like you would be if you used the amp. 
  • Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Luckily for me, Marshall have sent my jcm800 back now. More to follow!!
  • I'm playing with discharge at the weekend....

You want to get that looked at..... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    ICBM said:

set the amp for the biggest clean sound you can - master and bass up full, mid and gain down, treble wherever it sounds right - then you might get into the right ballpark.
    WIS'd - BJ clean stops with input gain between 2.5  & 3, maybe nudge it to 3.5 to 4 for some breakup - the use pedals.  It's a one-trick pony and it isn't that good at the trick either.  Pro Junior is a far better amp, and far more Fendery.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback