Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

More or less quit alcohol

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    My other half runs a small record label and spends so much time away at rock festivals that I sometimes think I'd never see her if I didn't go along sometimes, but for me a couple of things make it irksome to me to be at live music events that much - one of which being constant beer drinking (too many motorway miles and no escape from noise are a factor too). 

IF much of your life is at music event, it does seem that your beverage options are simply beer and cider.  
    Soft drink options aren't that plentiful and some venues charging £5 for a coke is a joke, and asking for a cup of tea or coffee is often met with less than enthusiastic responses. 

I've never been much of a drinker and if it wasn't for going to gigs or out with friends I simply wouldn't drink alcohol by choice at all, and finding myself drinking more than one night a week would be a rarity for me, and when it does happen I don't tend to feel good as a result. 

Alcohol free beer isn't the answer for me as I don't love the taste of beer like some people do, so it seems a bit pointless, but it does irk me to pay beer price for a soft drink from a pump that costs less than 5p for the venue to serve.
    Over time though I have rationalised and acceptedthat that price covers staff wages and just clocked it up to the price of being out with friends or seeing a band I like.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I quit alcohol for 3 months over the summer, because I was concerned my drinking was too frequent rather than too heavy.

Not drinking feels good.

I'm having the odd one now (I just like beer) but my perspective is very different. I understand it's nowhere near as much fun as I thought.

My main point is that you can't assess drinking while drinking, you have to step away and look from the outside.

Alcohol is a false friend.

I found the NHS Drink Free Days really helpful in getting started.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    I’ve noticed several things over the last few weeks though. 

First of all, where I’d usually be chomping at the bit to sink a nice cold beer at the end of the day, when I think about it now I just think, meh, nah, not really that bothered. 

I find as a result I sleep better, I wake up better - no more groggy or thick head in the morning and I feel kinda proud that I don’t feel I “need” alcohol like I thought I did. 

The other thing that was always a bit of a fear is, what happens if something happens in the middle of the night after a few beers? What if I suddenly had to rush off somewhere - would I be ok to drive? I no longer worry. 

Overall it’s great. Now, if I feel like a beer it’s a genuine treat, not that I do though. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Haych said:

Overall it’s great. Now, if I feel like a beer it’s a genuine treat, not that I do though. 
    That's it - it's now enjoyable rather than a norm.

Well done on cutting down :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'll drink to that!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can’t claim to have found it difficult to quit because I never really liked it, but I don’t drink.  I have no problem staying up late and hanging out with people who drink, just so long as they're still making sense.  Most of my mates don't drink excessively so it's a non issue, but that's very much going to depend on your own friendship group.

• January, I’ going to push on.  I’m doing well with my fitness programme at the moment, but diet and drinking has slipped (I sit here at 1:30am with a nice 15yo scotch in hand).  The year is coming to an end, I have factored in a drink, but in Jan I’m going to smash it.  At 43 I feel really good, kind of in my prime but with a few more pains.  But drinking makes the difference though, worse sleep, slower recovery, bad head.  Love a nice IPA or red wine or whiskey, but love rest and sharpness more.   Back on the fasting in Jan.  Fortunately my wife has really got into diet and fitness and is now showing the way.  I’ve always done exercise but this is the first time she has taken the lead and is absolutely smashing the classes, literally 6 or 7 a week.  So great, the standard is set.
    So good post, lets go mad on tonic next year and sack the booze off.  Who’s with me?

• January, I’ going to push on.  I’m doing well with my fitness programme at the moment, but diet and drinking has slipped (I sit here at 1:30am with a nice 15yo scotch in hand).  The year is coming to an end, I have factored in a drink, but in Jan I’m going to smash it.  At 43 I feel really good, kind of in my prime but with a few more pains.  But drinking makes the difference though, worse sleep, slower recovery, bad head.  Love a nice IPA or red wine or whiskey, but love rest and sharpness more.   Back on the fasting in Jan.  Fortunately my wife has really got into diet and fitness and is now showing the way.  I’ve always done exercise but this is the first time she has taken the lead and is absolutely smashing the classes, literally 6 or 7 a week.  So great, the standard is set.
    So good post, lets go mad on tonic next year and sack the booze off.  Who’s with me?
    Can I let you know on Jan 1st?? :lol: 

Bye!

Can I let you know on Jan 1st?? :lol: 

Come on, leave it until the 5th at least you hardcore bastard....

....5th of Feb

Or March

let’s just see how it goes.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm on the same boat. 

Love a drink - have it regularly - them hate the amount of money and good night sleep I have to sacrifice to it. 

On 29th Nov I've woken up with a really bad hangover so I've decided to stop for a while. It's been 2 weeks and I feel fresher, more motivated and stronger. I have done drugs January and all that in the past - thing is, all of those was temporary and I was looking forward to have a drink again - as I am now too. 
    Alcohol is a bitch. I can stop it (fortunately) at any time - thing is: I don't really want to. But I know I should. 
    I feel you Drew - I love that bitch too.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited December 2019
    I had a moment of clarity in May this year, finally seeing the slippery slope, and more to the point how far down the slope I was on. 

Had three months with nothing at all, and a couple of drunk nights since then. I felt really naughty (in a good way) to have had those drinks, like a flashback to a more decadent time, but I’m surprised overall how I have managed to see how damaging alcohol can be.

Just the last few days I’ve had two nights out with friends and family which just seem to turn into an excuse for heavy drinking (for them, I abstained quite happily, enthusiastically even) the objective being to sink as much drink as possible before the night is over.

I must have been like that before, it’s just seems so repellent now, particularly if the night is a dinner or a gig, which you can’t really enjoy if you’re hammered. If it was a pub session at least it makes sense, the only thing you’re there to do is drink. But people are missing all the point of life if it’s just all about drinking as much as possible at every opportunity. That much I have learned. 

Not to mention the calories, mood swings, expense, health problems, and all the other rubbish that comes with alcohol.  Yes, there is a moment between sobriety and drunkenness where the world seems a happier, more optimistic and joyous place, and that’s what drinkers chase. But it’s fleeting, and all in your head. What’s in your head matters of course, but what’s in your sober head matters most. 

Society as a whole needs to understand that alcohol is a far more powerful drug than commonly accepted. If you imagine someone having a drink as the equivalent of smoking a crack pipe or doing a line of cocaine, which I truly believe are equivalent in terms of health risk and intoxication, it puts things into perspective. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never really drank. To me it costs money, you feel like rubbish the next day, it puts on a gut, people act funny etc. Don't deny yourself, just make one a treat if you want to "take the edge off" on a night out. My wife never drank and I find it hard to meet women who don't drink. So many love going out for cocktails with friends or still are worse for wear after a night out - it's not something I'm comfortable with tbh. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited December 2019

I don't drink any more. I don't drink any less either

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom