Router bit recommendation ?

What's Hot
Hi everyone, 
progressing with my first couple of builds - now at installing the truss rods stage. 

So.....I'm looking for a nice spiral upcut bit for routing 6mm ( or 15/64ths ) truss rod channels.  Im using a router table and fancy using a spiral uncut to clear the waste as it cuts.   Ideally 1/2" shank as I'm using a Trend T11 router with a 1/2" collet 

Sick of my cheapo straight bit !! 

Cheers
Pete 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    upcut !  not uncut !!!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Check out Whitestile cutters.
    They are seriously impressive.

I have some four fluted and spiral cutters from them.
    Warning- don't backcut, unless you want the work flung across the workshop.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

I agree with the above, also don't use upcut, you'll get really bad tear out, I only use downcut, gives you a super clean edge round pockets. I buy all my router bits from Wealden tools sensibly priced normally overnight delivery.  

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:
    octatonic said:

I agree with the above, also don't use upcut, you'll get really bad tear out, I only use downcut, gives you a super clean edge round pockets. I buy all my router bits from Wealden tools sensibly priced normally overnight delivery.  

+1 for Wealdon, great quality and quick delivery.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    excellent - thanks Guys ! 
    ohh !! - and would you guys recommend 6mm rather than 1/4 bits for truss rod channels ?  . I used a 1/4 trend bit for my first couple and with standard double action truss rods there was a tiny bit of play in the channel ( which I didn't like ! ) Thinking of using some pieces of insulation tape at the end blocks to stop any potential rattle - have read all the "horror stories" on TDPI about using silicone beads. 

I just bough a small supply of 5mm and 6mm threaded rod and am hoping to have a crack at making a few traditional Gibson style singe action rods soon. 5mm looks adequate - just searching round for suitable brass nuts to drill and tap. 

Thanks
    Pete 

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    PeteC said:
    ohh !! - and would you guys recommend 6mm rather than 1/4 bits for truss rod channels ?  . I used a 1/4 trend bit for my first couple and with standard double action truss rods there was a tiny bit of play in the channel ( which I didn't like ! ) Thinking of using some pieces of insulation tape at the end blocks to stop any potential rattle - have read all the "horror stories" on TDPI about using silicone beads. 

I just bough a small supply of 5mm and 6mm threaded rod and am hoping to have a crack at making a few traditional Gibson style singe action rods soon. 5mm looks adequate - just searching round for suitable brass nuts to drill and tap. 

Thanks
    Pete 

I’d be cautious about using threaded rod, I don’t think it has the strength. You need plain, mild steel rod and then tap the ends for your threads.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Doh !  I meant unthreaded - mild still rod - I'm having one of those days.     I took early/semi retirement this week and seem to be having a few senior moments already :) 
    I got hold of one of the German made tap and die sets from Aldi many years ago before they went with the Chinese imports. Its a decent set - so I figure is worth having a go at some traditional style rods. 

anyway the truss rod bit I am looking at is this one....the T4D6000.  

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Down_Cut_2_Flute_228.html#aT4D6000

cheers
    Pete 

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I use a cutter that matches the rod, no bigger. With dual-action rods I cut the channel to match and chisel out for the tail & head ends so it all sits snug in there.
    I've seen the Crimson guy put masking tape onto a rod to snug it but I would never do that ... masking tape goes dry & brittle and falls to bits. Insulation tape turns to gluey mush, or dries & falls to bits, or both. Horrible stuff.
    Even if the rod's not in tension the tiniest nip up on the adjuster takes out any rattle without making the rod change the neck. All the better if it's a good snug fit to start with.