Fender 57 custom champ

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
These perfectly workable even although there is no tone control?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Hootsmon said:
    These perfectly workable even although there is no tone control?
    The tone control is on the guitar ;).

The amp has a very distinct ‘brassy’ voicing that tends to dominate the guitar, especially when overdriven.

A 5F1 circuit in a 5E3-size 1x12” cabinet - eg a Victoria 5112 - is fuller-sounding and very much more responsive to the guitar, in my opinion.

I did own an original ‘59 5F1...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    John

Is it possible on the RI to unplug the speaker ( it's not hardwired?) and plug into a 8ohm ex cab,is that doable?

i think champ is 4ohm
    tae be or not tae be
    Brassy?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:

Is it possible on the RI to unplug the speaker ( it's not hardwired?) and plug into a 8ohm ex cab,is that doable?

i think champ is 4ohm
    The Champ is 4 ohm - you risk blowing the OT if you crank it into an 8-ohm speaker.

The 12” speaker 5F1s are usually 8 ohm.

Hootsmon said:
    Brassy?
    Like a trumpet - raspy and slightly metallic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

thanks John.......how does the 5E3 circuit

Fender 57 Custom Deluxe 

compare /differ from the  champ?

tae be or not tae be
    no trumpets?
    tae be or not tae be
    It's quite a different amp - the 5F1 is single-ended and the 5E3 is push-pull, so the overdrive character is chunkier and more even, as well as louder (although not that much, through similar speakers). Most of the trumpety sound of the Champ is from the 8" speaker.

Do folk swap out that trumpet speaker for somethin' else?
    tae be or not tae be
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Horses for courses, for home I love a 5F1 circuit, mine is through a 6 inch alnico jensen speaker and sounds great.
    Hootsmon said:
    Do folk swap out that trumpet speaker for somethin' else?
    Yes, a 12" speaker in a bigger cab ;).

I've heard a few different 8s in them and they still sound basically the same - although I've never done anything more unusual, like trying an 8" bass or PA driver...

munckee said:
    Horses for courses, for home I love a 5F1 circuit, mine is through a 6 inch alnico jensen speaker and sounds great.
    I liked the clean sound of mine at home too - and I liked the trumpet sound :) for playing 50s-style rock'n'roll and blues lead, but nothing else.

By comparison the Victoria 5112 sounded fantastic both clean and at band volume with a variety of guitars and pedals.

Does a 12 incher fit in there John?

Question lifted from a John Holmes film
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I've built a 5F1 into a 12" cab and am running a PA driver, as it's now my bass practice amp at home. 
    It's had a variety of 12" speakers from various Celestions to an alnico WGS, and it sounds pretty much like arse with any of them. 

I've since modded it for an EL34 and fitted a tone control and it's now sort of usable, but unless you run totally clean into a deep 2x12 or similar they're just not particularly nice tbh. 
    Is the 5E3 tweed deluxe a gig friendly amp?

I am at a certain age now when I'd like a nice tweedy classy retro amp at home that could double for low key pub gigs

tae be or not tae be
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I have a rift 5f1 with a 10 inch speaker. Sounds great and I understand what ICBM means by brassy. I run mine between 3 and 5 at home and could gig it if miced up 
  • Hootsmon said:

I am at a certain age now when I'd like a nice tweedy classy retro amp at home that could double for low key pub gigs

Deffo
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    5F1 champ and the 5F2 princeton are both 5w output amps, fine for practice but not for suitable for real gigs/pub gigs unless you only want overdriven sounds.

If I was going for a larger speaker then I would go for the 5F2 circuit as the tone control really does help.

5E3 Tweed Deluxe is a good home and gig amp, still not loads of headroom though and depending on the gig you may need to mic it up.

all these are quite light as they are pine cabs normally
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    Hootsmon said:

Purely depends on the drummer! I’ve been in situations where it’s certainly too loud but also gigs were you just can’t hear it next to a loud drummer. Worth it for the tone tho!

on that note, I’ve been taking my blackface champ to gigs (if I know monitoring is good) turn it to 10 and control with the guitar. It’s a thing of joy!
    and last questions guys...;)  what would one expect to pay for a recent(ish) nice clean one?
    tae be or not tae be
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Hootsmon said:
    and last questions guys...;)  what would one expect to pay for a recent(ish) nice clean one?
    If it’s a 5e3 you are after, you can’t go wrong with one of these:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/159761/fs-ft-vyse-tweed-deluxe-575-jensen-p12r-price-drop/p1
    ^ that's great man but it's a smaller less powerful tweed i be after...like the champ
    tae be or not tae be