identifying BKP pickups in a new guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Wow! Great response. Thank you.
    Yes, it's a Kemp and plays great - has modern/thinner neck profile. Pickups are flipping amazing @OilCityPickups LOL love the reply.
    I know BKP supply a warranty card with serial number but I didn't get anything else with the guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18779
    I have a set of Yardbirds in my favourite tele partscaster & I still have the box, beermat etc.
    However, even with this 'supportive evidence' how would anyone be able to accurately verify the designation/specification of any pickups without returning them to BKP for checking or disassembling them ?
    Just seems a bit self defeating for sales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I wouldn't be to worried about the pup's - that guitar's not a strat ;)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10459
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Is there a way of determining what kind of magnet is used on a pickup that you have in front of you?

The only way is to use a sophisticated and very expensive gauss meter. Then you will need the reference gauss levels for each magnet type, and then there is no way to tell a partially charged alnico 5 say from a fully charged alnico 2. Some of BKs pickups, like the Riff Raff are built with short alnico 5 magnets ... so in theory you could take a magnet out and determine what the pickup was likely to be by that.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader

Just seems a bit self defeating for sales.
    Maybe it helps sales, as second hand ones can't be positively identified and if you want a particular model you have to buy new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikc said:
    I wouldn't be to worried about the pup's - that guitar's not a strat ;)
    Def not, nothing like a Fender for example anyway, no =)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    edited December 2019 tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Is there a way of determining what kind of magnet is used on a pickup that you have in front of you?

The only way is to use a sophisticated and very expensive gauss meter. 
    The only sure way is to use a mass spectrometer but they are even more expensive than a gauss meter 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10459
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:

The only way is to use a sophisticated and very expensive gauss meter. 
    The only sure way is to use a mass spectrometer but they are even more expensive than a gauss meter 

Exactly ... but most of us don't have a mass spectrometer hanging about the place. We do have a gauss meter ... but interpreting the results is a skilled business.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message