Barre Chords higher up the neck

What's Hot
Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar on and off for 2 years now but am still struggling with barre chords on frets 9 through 12. its like my chubby fingers can't fret all the notes that high up.

Any pointers?
Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Keep first finger as close to the fret-wire as possible and maybe raise the height of them (whilst pressed obviously) so the creases in the fingers catch the strings right. Some people have to lower the height to get the notes to ring true. Also keep the first finger straight and drop the wrist.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
     Maybe different voicings of the chords you're trying to play, using the bottom 4 strings. They're great fun to learn. Full barre chords at the 12th fret are for the gifted I reckon.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    Don’t play all the strings - I often play 2 or 3 strings only 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Have a look at the video in the Hand Pain thread this section. It may help you out.
  • JAYJO said:
    Have a look at the video in the Hand Pain thread this section. It may help you out.
    I already have. It's not the pain of it I struggle with any more. I can play barre chords from frets 1 through 8 but not past that. It just feels awkward with my big fat fingers.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    Get some exercise!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    M D Phillips.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it something in particular you are trying to play? 
    I think you're just hitting the limitations of the instrument to be honest. If your fingers don't fit they don't fit. 
    Full barre chords are pants anyway just play partial chords or different positions  :)  
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Jumbo frets help. It’s easy on a Jem. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 324
    How big are your fingers really? Take a look at Segovia’s hands.

I’m not being cheeky, but I’ve certainly had friends who tell me their hands are too big to do something or other on the guitar whose hands turn out to be no bigger than mine. 

And there are certain voicings I once thought my hands couldn’t play, as they were too cramped, which I now play easily.

On the other hand, as others have said, maybe if your hands are huge, you need to change how you voice certain chords.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    Further up the neck on e shaped barre chord for example I'll play the a and d strings with just my 4th finger and the g string with my 3rd, gives you more room and works for Am shaped chords too.