A NVGD plus a... NOVGD

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
edited December 2019 in Guitar
Pleased to have got this one - it's a 1953 ES-295, in very nice condition, with original case - particularly noticeable is the absence of 'greening', which is pretty common in the gold ES-295's. It's had a repair on the topside where it was cracked - it was a pretty expensive repair by Gruhns, I believe, who also refretted it. It plays very nicely and sounds great. Tuner tips aren't original, but everything else is. Well, it plays as well as it can when I've got my trotters on it. I wanted to be Scotty Moore. So far I've managed Patrick Moore.

The second one is and ES-300, my 'new old vintage guitar' - I had it previously, sold it, and missed it. It's in fabulous condition - virtually mint - and dates from early 1948 (or possibly late 1947). Single P90, of course, and it's hot. Again, it has it's original case with it, and is all original itself. It's the (model of) guitar that Danny Cedrone played the solo on 'Rock Around The Clock' on. So far, I've managed 'Three Blind Mice'.  Still, not to worry. 

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Love that ES295.
    I had a 90's reissue for a while.

How light is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Lovely ES295, the original frets are fairly small on these, the refret can only be a good thing if it helps playability. A Bigsby and it would be perfect.....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Nice 295. Thing is, I think more of Killing Joke than Scotty Moore when I see these!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Two absolute stunners. I am properly into that ES295
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited December 2019
    I had a reissue too - I liked that a lot, but just fancied a '50's one. It's pretty light, but haven't weighed it yet. I agree re: the frets, and the refret was a plus point for me. The ES-300 frets are fairly small, but it sort of suits that. I have to say, though, a Bigsby would have killed the deal for me. Different strokes, etc... ;-)

Yeah, well, @impmann - we might just be demonstrating an age gap there. 

Call me Dave.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Love both of those - I used to gig a '52 ES295 when I was a teenager and still love them.
    I have to put a word in for the ES-300 as well - it's P90 is a hot, hot thing - plenty of growl to it as the volume knob goes round. It's almost indecent considering it's looks, but jump blues, jazz, rock and roll, swing, It's deceptively easy to play, considering it's size - I do like the history of these - I know @jimmyguitar had a lovely twin pickup model which I coveted, and that was the final incarnation before it morphed into the legendary ES-350. The one that I have was one of the last to feature the 'banner' headstock, as in late 1948, I think, it was phased out to become the modern style. Couple more pics...

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    That must be a very early screw coil P90 too, and I'm surprised it's wound so hot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, I think it was produced only in the second year of P90 production. It's quite a surprising sound - I had to check that the Jr Barnyard pedal wasn't plugged in. Quite an indecent sound for an old jazzer indeed!
    Call me Dave.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    beautiful instruments. Enjoy them
    @octatonic ; - the ES-295  weighs 5.9lbs, and @p90fool - the pickup reading on the ES-300 is 9.06k. Cheers

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That ES295 is quite simply stunning.