Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you play yesterday by the beatles?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Seeing videos like that makes me realise that some people have a real talent for playing guitar, I'm just a hack musician.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was going to say Stanley Jordan was tapping Yesterday back in the 80s whereas a quick Google shows it was Eleanor Rigby. 
    No particular point there, just reminded me of it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisus said:
    Seeing videos like that makes me realise that some people have a real talent for playing guitar, I'm just a hack musician.

I don't know...I prefer listening to actual music  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Give me a hack musician for listening to. I'd rather listen to the original versions of all the above.

These guys above are both talented and hard working, the hours that have gone into playing like that shows the commitment and dedication. It is very, very impressive. 

But... it's not original. I've never really liked covers, unless they get totally rearranged into a different song. I value originality more
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    axisus said:

I don't know...I prefer listening to actual music  ;)
    Saw this before I watched the video so was expecting some kind of party piece shred fest that wasn't actually nice to listen to.

But that wasn't the case at all, it very much is actual music, it's just like classical guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2019
    thegummy said:
    axisus said:

I don't know...I prefer listening to actual music 
    Saw this before I watched the video so was expecting some kind of party piece shred fest that wasn't actually nice to listen to.

But that wasn't the case at all, it very much is actual music, it's just like classical guitar.

Yeah maybe it's just me. Not really a fan of classical guitar either. 

As above, I prefer the originals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3331
    No, but I can play today by the smashing pumpkins or Tomorrow by silverchair. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Yeah maybe it's just me. Not really a fan of classical guitar either. 

As above, I prefer the originals.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting for a second it's even close to being as good as a band accompanying a singer, just pleasant to listen to in its own right.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Not how I remember the original.
  • axisus said:
    Give me a hack musician for listening to. I'd rather listen to the original versions of all the above.

These guys above are both talented and hard working, the hours that have gone into playing like that shows the commitment and dedication. It is very, very impressive. 

But... it's not original. I've never really liked covers, unless they get totally rearranged into a different song. I value originality more
    It is original playing - and he does compose his own pieces too.

I thought this might be a gateway drug for some ;) 

For me, it was hearing 40oz and GOAT by polyphia. I had never heard anything like it before. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Bet none can't play eleanor rigby like this fella !

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    edited December 2019
    I had a listen to the Yesterday in the first video. Unquestionably a brilliant player but ultimately a waste of his talent and our time because it just sounds like really bad Musak. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I had a listen to the Yesterday in the first video. Unquestionably a brilliant player but ultimately a waste of his talent and our time because it just sounds like really bad Musak. 
    Young, talented player takes the time to learn a piece of music he obviously likes, comes up with his own arrangement and makes a video to share it.

Shame you think it’s a total waste of his and everyone else’s time. 

Maybe he should just do what all the other kids do and play fortnite, post selfies on Instagram or join a gang or something?

So much negativity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:
    Young, talented player takes the time to learn a piece of music he obviously likes, comes up with his own arrangement and makes a video to share it.

Maybe he should just do what all the other kids do and play fortnite, post selfies on Instagram or join a gang or something?

So much negativity.
    What an over reaction.

Idiotwindow's point was completely valid. No one, including you, would actually think he was saying the boy should stop playing guitar.

Your post is a lot more negative than his btw.

"Join a gang" lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Dan_Halen said:

So much negativity.
    What an over reaction.

Idiotwindow's point was completely valid. No one, including you, would actually think he was saying the boy should stop playing guitar.

Your post is a lot more negative than his btw.

"Join a gang" lol 
    Give it a rest pal. Simply making the point that if you've got nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing than to moan at a young player because you don't like his music.

Nothing wrong with pointing that out and don't need your permission to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
    So much negativity.
    That wasn't my intention but I can see it can read like that (though I'm not sure your reactionary stereotyping of what "kids" do is any less negative). The guitarist is quite evidently incredibly talented and no doubt could have a bright future but that doesn't mean I have to like this particular interpretation of this classic piece. Like it or not, it sounds like Musak or lounge music.
    It's quite obvious I was being flippant with regards to what kids do so please don't try and turn that around on me. Kids are amazing and when they're using their time do things like make music and sharing it with the world it should be applauded and encouraged.

You're perfectly entitled to not like it but not sure what benefit you seem to think there is to say he's just wasting everyone's time.
    Dan_Halen said:

Give it a rest pal. Simply making the point that if you've got nothing nice to say it's better to say nothing than to moan at a young player because you don't like his music.

Nothing wrong with pointing that out and don't need your permission to do it.
    If he was actually saying something directly to the boy unsolicited it would be different but it's been posted on a discussion forum, chances are people are interested in what other members of the forum's opinion of it is.

I was interested in his opinion and agree with it. That's all a forum is. I doubt many people are as interested in your opinion of other posts.

What a boring forum it would be if the only time anyone ever posted is if they happen to have nothing but positive opinions on the topic of each thread.
    Don't remember saying everyone has to agree on everything but thanks for letting me know that's what I must have meant. I was simply trying to suggest there is a difference between saying you don't like something (and why) and suggesting it's a waste of everyone's time.

Anyway, thanks for explaining what a forum is. Lucky to have a chap like you about to ensure everything is running smoothly. Keep fighting the good fight!
    This video is a good example of the thing where a talented person can put a lot of effort in to really developing a particular skill that is impressive to just about everyone; anyone who sees him playing that will likely be impressed and think "wow, he is great at guitar".

But then almost no one would actually sit and listen to the recording just for musical enjoyment the way people listen to their favourite artists. On that same vein, when they are listening to the music they enjoy they don't even consider if the guitar parts are all played in real time by one guy with fast hands or if it's done over several takes or with several musicians doing different parts each (and they wouldn't care if they were told).

It's similar to those people who can do millions of keepy uppies while doing handstands and all sorts - it's impressive but wouldn't actually be useful in a football match.

I don't think that either example should be doing something different, impressing people might be a goal of theirs - that was a goal of mine when I was a teenager and first started making music - and I'm sure it brings him lots of enjoyment which is reason enough to do it.

But when we get away from the extremes shown in the examples, we can all take the theory of it on board; for example, when playing guitar or bass in a band it can be tempting to choose to play fancy bits that are difficult to play to show off skills to other musicians but maybe a simpler, easy to play part could have suited the song better.

I think the thing I'd enjoy most - if a genie suddenly gave me this boy's skills - would be going to guitar shops and trying out guitars but hitting out with that kind of thing on the shop floor. I think I'd probably start touring round cities to do that for attention as well as trying out loads of great guitars.