The price of 2nd hand Squire J Mascis Jazzmasters

What's Hot
TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
edited December 2019 in Guitar

Comments

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    They are being or have been discontinued I think, and people are jumping on the bandwagon.

Just keep your eye out for a squier deluxe jazzmaster instead (candy apple red with gold guard) They are practically the same guitar but go for reasonable prices due to the lack of jmascis link.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The JMJM got discontinued and came back out as the DXJM, plus they're really nice guitars so have a bit of a following. Lovely necks - wish I hadn't sold mine but had a CIJ and didn't need two. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    The Gear4Music link shows they are out of stock. "Available to Order" means 'give us your money... we'll try to get you one for that money'.
    Thing is - I don't think there are any more at Fender's warehouse and they aren't making any more...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    edited December 2019
    I like to think it's because I bought one recently.

And all of the other guitarists out there basically want to be me.

Yep, that's probably it. No question. ;-)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    It isn't mine but that's the one! I bought one of those a while back instead of the mascis, same guitar and saved my at least 100 quid at the time. Stuck a red tort guard on it and white covers/knobs and it looked really good.

Tbh I think it's all about the neck which get people flustered about it, very smooth and comfy. The body and pickups are fine but nothing special. I got rid of those and have the neck on a more traditional custom body instead.
  • @Gerz6558 trigger’s brush? :open_mouth: 

I ordered a JMJM a few weeks ago from an online Spanish store to be delivered in Spain. When I ordered there was 1 in stock but according to them it will be in their warehouse this week.
    I hope they didn’t take the order on the assumption they’ll be able to get it in stock.
    I double checked the day after I ordered it and it was “out of stock” on the site.
    Original price was €716 which to me seems way overpriced ? I got it for €430.
    @Gerz6558 trigger’s brush?
    The best bit stayed, the neck! It's usually all people talk about with this model. I didn't mind the rest of it, pretty much a classic player jazzmaster on a budget.

I've seen a few offset obsessives using these necks exclusively for their custom builds. Suppose that won't be happening anymore with the premium they will start commanding.
  • Do any of the fender jazzmasters have a neck like this, jumbo frets etc.?
  • @Gerz6558 I picked up and sold recently a neck of the candy apple red JM for a parts master I have but picked up a JMJM in the meantime so will possibly upgrade the trem,bridge and maybe pickups (taken from parts master)
    Do any of the fender jazzmasters have a neck like this, jumbo frets etc.?
    I cant recall any recent productions with these specs. Even the similar Mexican classic players have medium jumbo and a thinner neck I think.
    @Creed_Clicks are you not convinced by the pickups? I thought they were ok, p90 type. I've got mojo jazzmaster pickups now, they are excellent. 

Tbh the only part which annoyed me about the body was the fixed bridge, didn't work well for me with the trem and finding a correct radius replacement for it without messing was proving difficult. I couldn't source a staytrem for it at the time, there was talk they discontinued that particular bridge. In the end I just stuck the neck on a warmoth body. No way I could find a neck anywhere near as good as this for the price.
  • @Gerz6558 I don't have the guitar yet, but just going by what I have read online, it seems the pickups are more P90 than Jazzmaster style. I have a set of Mojos in my partscaster, so might transfer those. I'll see what it's like stock first.
    I also have a staytrem bridge, so might put that to use on it too.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    Do any of the fender jazzmasters have a neck like this, jumbo frets etc.?
    This neck on this sounds very similar.....
    https://shop.fender.com/en-BE/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/vintera-60s-jazzmaster-modified/0149763357.html