Rosewood and maple fretboards durability...

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1175
This is not really a "vs" kind of thread. But I'm genuinely curious what most people's experience is regarding how rosewood wears when compared to maple, in specific when it comes to pitting.

I've seen/played/owned many rosewood fretboard guitars which had some form of pitting on the rosewood at several positions on the board. I've very rarely seen this in maple fretboard. Sure the wear might be more noticeable, because the lacquer wears off which really accentuates the wear, but I've very rarely seen pitting on maple boards.

Has anyone else noticed this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I found my Harmony Sovereign flat top wore out  its fret board and frets after about 5 years of heavy bluegrass folky stuff and very heavy  wire wound strings .I assume its a rosewood board .It was bit extreme as i was playing about 3 nights a week in the 60's
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8755
    Personal experience: rosewood wears away faster than maple, but maple shows the marks because it’s a lighter colour. I see two causes of wear: nails and strings. One comes from poor nail care. How on earth can you play properly with nails that are long enough to catch on the board? The other is pressing too hard, and down to poor technique.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    Roland said:
     How on earth can you play properly with nails that are long enough to catch on the board?
    Image result for dolly parton guitar
  • Not sure it poor nail care
    my mate who has played 1000’s of gigs on his 89 Custom 24 has serious finger shape wear in its Brazilian rosewood board. But as I point out he has been playing the same classic covers on the thing for 30 odd years lol
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30317
    Does anyone on here keep a guitar long enough to wear it out?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Philly_Q said:
    Roland said:
     How on earth can you play properly with nails that are long enough to catch on the board?
    From what I've seen of Dolly, she plays open tunings, hence just barring.  
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    MrBump said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Roland said:
    From what I've seen of Dolly, no part of her face above her mouth is capable of movement any more.

FTFY
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    Does anyone on here keep a guitar long enough to wear it out?
    I like that question - Made me smile
    tFB Trader
    I have seen wear on a rosewood board that has required attention - There is a trick a good tech can do with a touch of white glue and rosewood fillings - Mix, fill then smooth accordingly - Will leave minimal tell tale signs, but beats  'sanding' down a fingerboard and refret - Or a new board - Generally such touch up work is around the first 5 frets or so - Generally more common on an older guitar - But this is just par for the course if such an instrument has been played a lot 

Maple is harder so generally far less of an issue - However you do find that lacquer wear and chipping is common in which case IMO just cut it back accordingly - Again I much prefer the satin feel on maple as against a lacquer - On something like a Musicman with a blend of wax and gun stock oil, the finish will go 'dish cloth' dirty, but just ignore it as it is not an issue, just looks 'dirty'
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30317
    crunchman said:
    MrBump said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Roland said:
    From what I've seen of Dolly, no part of her face above her mouth is capable of movement any more.

FTFY

As Dolly herself has said "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap".
  • brooom said:
    This is not really a "vs" kind of thread. But I'm genuinely curious what most people's experience is regarding how rosewood wears when compared to maple, in specific when it comes to pitting.

I've seen/played/owned many rosewood fretboard guitars which had some form of pitting on the rosewood at several positions on the board. I've very rarely seen this in maple fretboard. Sure the wear might be more noticeable, because the lacquer wears off which really accentuates the wear, but I've very rarely seen pitting on maple boards.

Has anyone else noticed this?

IMO, Ebony in the long run can have more problems than either maple or rosewood as it can shrink, which can be a right royal PITA for nylon strings in particular.  It reacts to low humidity really badly as well.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited December 2019 tFB Trader
    I have seen wear on a rosewood board that has required attention - There is a trick a good tech can do with a touch of white glue and rosewood fillings - Mix, fill then smooth accordingly - Will leave minimal tell tale signs, but beats  'sanding' down a fingerboard and refret - Or a new board - Generally such touch up work is around the first 5 frets or so - Generally more common on an older guitar - But this is just par for the course if such an instrument has been played a lot 
    You're spot on there @guitars4you, ;Here's a 1962 Strat that I had in recently that had been 'well played' by the guy from Wayne Fantana and the Mindbenders, he'd even worn away 4 of the 'clay dots'. The board had been levelled and refretted before and the tangs were touching the maple. It wouldn't have taken another level and the owner wanted to keep the original board so the only way forward was to fill the divots. I used rosewood dust from the board, made some new 'clay dots' and the repair is almost invisible. 

Before:

After...

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    Sassafras said:
    crunchman said:
    MrBump said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Roland said:

FTFY

As Dolly herself has said "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap".
    Not a huge fan of her music but I’ve got a lot of time for Dolly. Clever, funny, shrewd business lady, and written more than a few big selling songs. And if the only thing she’d ever done was the imagination library project she’d have my everlasting respect for that alone...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    brooom said:
    I've very rarely seen pitting on maple boards.
    You need to meet my 1978/79 Fender factory fretless Precision Bass. The fingerboard had scuffs in the varnish under all four strings plus a bald spot where a previous owner had thumb slapped the E and A strings. Add thirty years of roundwound use from me and you could probably plant spuds in the ruts under the strings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    You're spot on there @guitars4you, ;Here's a 1962 Strat that I had in recently that had been 'well played' by the guy from Wayne Fantana and the Mindbenders, he'd even worn away 4 of the 'clay dots'. The board had been levelled and refretted before and the tangs were touching the maple. It wouldn't have taken another level and the owner wanted to keep the original board so the only way forward was to fill the divots. I used rosewood dust from the board, made some new 'clay dots' and the repair is almost invisible. 

Before:

After...

Total credit to you Neil - I've seen many repairs that are far to obvious - That is 'Groovy'
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Really cool Neil, that was really nice to see.
  • @IvisonGuitars My hat is off to you, Sir! That really is impressive :-)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you @broom @victorludorum Thanks chaps! I get some interesting repairs through the shop I have to say and it's always a joy to get them back into commission :) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • brooom said:
    I've very rarely seen pitting on maple boards.
    You need to meet my 1978/79 Fender factory fretless Precision Bass. The fingerboard had scuffs in the varnish under all four strings plus a bald spot where a previous owner had thumb slapped the E and A strings. Add thirty years of roundwound use from me and you could probably plant spuds in the ruts under the strings.
    70s fender... probably made from pine and cheese :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.