Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson fretboard issue

What's Hot
Hi

I've just bought a 2019 ES-335 P90 and the fretboard end appears to not be square. Here's a pic:

http://imgur.com/gallery/lqs9gaW

Are issues like this normal? Is it even an issue? It's a bit frustrating as I like absolutely everything else about this guitar, maybe I just need to look past it but it catches my eye every time I look at it.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Personally I'd either send it back or want some money off. It may affect it's re-sell value if you did sell it in the future and it's obviously an issue for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    I'd say it's not unusual for a Gibson. I see a good few with fretboard issues - tooling marks or uneven sides, or in this case, end.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’d send it back for sure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8755

Are issues like this normal? Is it even an issue?

Not at the dusty end of the bass side of the fret board.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I wouldn't call it normal. Tooling marks etc. are often seen but that's a bit more dramatic. I'm sure wherever you bought it from would accept a return if it bothers you but if you enjoy how it plays then ask for a small discount and get back to enjoying it :)
  • If this is the only thing that should not be, then it really depends on how much you like the guitar overall. If you like it a lot, then try getting some money back from whoever you bought it from ( I once ordered a Gibson Custom Shop guitar, which took 3/4 months to arrive. When it arrived and was taken out of it's packaging, it had been sent with a short scratch in the finish on the lower bout, but the guitar was otherwise fine. The particular shop was honest and offered either to reorder, or give me £250 off the price - I took the discount). Otherwise return it and get a replacement.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Normal for Gibson.

If you like the rest of the guitar and it plays and sounds good, keep it. A replacement will not have that same specific issue, but it could have other similar ones *and* be a worse guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    edited December 2019
    I think it’s appalling, but have to ask did you buy it from a shop or over the internet? If you bought it from a shop how on earth didn’t you notice that at the time of purchase?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited December 2019
    Here's some Epiphone workmanship from 2018. Only you can decide if you're happy with the Gibson.

• I know that harsh flash lighting and a close-up photo can exaggerate any finish problems but this is pretty piss poor workmanship by any measure.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389

somebody careful could probably even that out with some delicate sanding. might be a small gap afterwards but if it's the *only* thing wrong with it, might be worth having it fixed under warranty.

that said, plenty of good guitars out there without problems like this. like the epiphone above...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    Looks like it could have been a router slip whilst cutting the pickup cavity? I'm not sure how they rout the cavities though.

This one at Peach was painted by someone who just didn't care that much:

6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 821
    If it is the only thing wrong with the guitar, and it bugs you, I would recommend filling the gap rather than sanding. It looks like you could simply wedge something like a credit card in the gap, which would act as a fence to allow a fill of wood dust and glue, then a light sand and oil afterwords would get me over it.
    If it is new, you should have some form of warranty but  a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush--etc...
  • There was a time when Gibson had a QC dept that this would have been marked as a “second” denoted as a 2 above the serial number & sold at a discount. If you’re happy with it otherwise, ask for a discount before a rejection.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    That's terrible workmanship.
  • I'd say if it plays like a keeper its a keeper.
  • I think it’s appalling, but have to ask did you buy it from a shop or over the internet? If you bought it from a shop how on earth didn’t you notice that at the time of purchase?
    I bought it over the internet. Alas it's gone back to the shop and they were very understanding and helpful. It just amazes me that Gibson can let these guitars out the door.
    The joke goes that in the old days, they used to stamp a '2' on the seconds, but mostly you could never actually find the fault which caused it to be one. Now, it's the other way round...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think sending it back was the right thing. Sends a message to the retailers and Gibson that it isn't acceptable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think sending it back was the right thing. Sends a message to the retailers and Gibson that it isn't acceptable. 
    It won't get back to Gibson. The retailer or the distributor will send it to someone else to get rid of.