Anyone tried the Palmer MI pocket acoustic amp?

CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
I'm thinking of getting one for Xmas, reviews & opinions are pretty scant in my google searching...

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/guitar-effects/18424/pocket-amp-acoustic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    Cirrus said:
    I'm thinking of getting one for Xmas, reviews & opinions are pretty scant in my google searching...

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/guitar-effects/18424/pocket-amp-acoustic
    Not tried one but looks pretty well spec'd for the money.
  • More of a preamp than an amp!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Follow up; I got one of these before Christmas and have used it at a few open mics.

It's good, very flexible. I suspect if you're a real tone-purist there are better options, as this has some quite radical tone-shaping going on. But as a preamp & tone shaper for my Taylor GS-mini with K&K pure mini pickup (ie, no tone controls etc on-board), it does the job nicely.

Upsides;

Plenty of tone options, good I/O (it's got guitar & aux inputs, an FX loop, and both jack + XLR outs which is perfect for the open mics I've been doing, since I never quite know what I'll be plugging in to). Very well featured - limiter, polarity switch, lots of tone settings mean there's good sounds to be found.

Downsides:

Input is on the front, so the cable *might* get in the way of your feet depending on your setup.
    Boosting treble brings up white noise a little sooner than I'd expect.
    FX-loop is pre-EQ, which doesn't make loads of sense to me.

Here it is on the little pedalboard I put together for open mics - all powered by a chargeable Pedaltrain Volto power pack for speedy set up;