Blocks Between Pickups

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
On a lot of modern basses I see what seems to be a block of (presumably) wood attached between the pickups.

What is the purpose of that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thumbrest I reckon
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Cheers man appreciate the links.

That's kind of what I guessed - that it was to make it feel like you were playing over the pickup regardless where you plucked but what confused me is that to me, playing over the pickup always seemed to feel worse but was worth the tradeoff for the sound it got.

I think this maybe highlights a flaw in my plucking technique and maybe I'm plucking too hard when not playing over the pickup.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    I've had a couple of basses with ramps.

I really like them. Prevents digging in too much, also acts as a bit of a physical compressor to even out notes.

I'm going to have one made for my Sandberg when I get a break between needing it all the time.
    I've had a couple of basses with ramps.

I really like them. Prevents digging in too much, also acts as a bit of a physical compressor to even out notes.

I'm going to have one made for my Sandberg when I get a break between needing it all the time.
    Don't think I'd actually want a ramp but I'm definitely going to practice solely over the pickups for a while to make sure I'm not digging in any more than I should be.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    Ramps.
    No good if you use a plec or pop.
    Plus they look stupid!
    prowla said:
    Ramps.
    No good if you use a plec or pop.
    Plus they look stupid!
    I think I generally see them on the basses of players who are in to that style of music that to my (likely ignorant) ears just sounds like they're playing loads of random notes really quickly lol
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Anyone capable of disciplining their picking digits to play directly above a pickup ought to be able to maintain that degree of control anywhere along the length of the strings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Anyone capable of disciplining their picking digits to play directly above a pickup ought to be able to maintain that degree of control anywhere along the length of the strings.
    I tend to see them on the basses of quite advanced players, pretty much never on novices so I reckon it's more about preference than relying on it.

Definitely not for me but glad I know what they are now.

I'm not a fan of the look of them either, it's one of the features of some basses that are too "non-classic" looking for me.