Anyone played the new Squier Classic Vibe Esquire?

What's Hot
Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 409
edited December 2019 in Guitar
I've asked my local shop to order one in for me to have a look at, if it's anything near the quality of the J Mascis JM I'll be picking one up as a gigging guitar.

Anyone had a noodle on one care to voice an opinion?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There are a couple of previous Discussions although the search facility on here doesn’t really help. 
    I’ve picked one up and it was amazingly heavy and, IIRC, @Funkfingers gave one more of a proper go. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • There are a couple of previous Discussions although the search facility on here doesn’t really help. 
    I’ve picked one up and it was amazingly heavy and, IIRC, @Funkfingers gave one more of a proper go. 
    I did look, couldn't find anything recent or relevant. Weight could be an issue then...I don't really like playing anything over 8.5lbs
  • Vintage-T said:
    There are a couple of previous Discussions although the search facility on here doesn’t really help. 
    I did look, couldn't find anything recent or relevant. Weight could be an issue then...I don't really like playing anything over 8.5lbs
    I found the Discussion that mostly said oh we’ve had a previous Discussion but then I couldn’t find that :anguished: 
    I wasn’t keen on the colour, I’d have preferred a more classic blonde. Bit too Barbara Windsor and I’d have expected more Grace Kelly. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5815
    I haven’t had the pleasure of playing one but I’ll make a prediction for when you do. 

Overall, you’ll like it. You’ll be impressed with how it plays, how nicely it’s put together and you’ll think it sounds okay as it is too. You won’t like the thickness of the plastic feeling finish very much and it will be heavier than you’d like. 

The cons won’t outweigh the pros though and it will make you smile, despite there being bits you’d like to change. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    edited December 2019
    I found the Discussion that mostly said oh we’ve had a previous Discussion
    Was it this one? https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151747/squier-fsr-classic-vibe-esquire/p1

I wasn’t keen on the colour, I’d have preferred a more classic blonde. 
    The colour in the product photographs is an approximation of the proper 1958 opaque Blonde finish after Fender changed from Ash bodies to Alder. Thus, a single ply white pickguard is appropriate. 

For some reason, the string guide and headstock decal are in the "blackguard" positions.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have bought a couple of the squier classic vibe 70s teles and they are ace .I  tried a vintera 72  tele and the squier played nicer and the pickups and feel were a lot better , nice necks great frets and general build quality is decent and for £300 you really cant knock them , i have played  and owned a lot more expensive teles over the years and the humble classic vibes are good enough for me and do what they are supposed to do , They are nothing like the squiers of old they have really upped their game
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    dazzajl said:
    I haven’t had the pleasure of playing one but I’ll make a prediction for when you do. 

Overall, you’ll like it. You’ll be impressed with how it plays, how nicely it’s put together and you’ll think it sounds okay as it is too. You won’t like the thickness of the plastic feeling finish very much and it will be heavier than you’d like. 

The cons won’t outweigh the pros though and it will make you smile, despite there being bits you’d like to change. 
    This is textbook.  
  • I found the Discussion that mostly said oh we’ve had a previous Discussion
    Was it this one? https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151747/squier-fsr-classic-vibe-esquire/p1

I wasn’t keen on the colour, I’d have preferred a more classic blonde. 
    The colour in the product photographs is an approximation of the proper 1958 opaque Blonde finish after Fender changed from Ash bodies to Alder. Thus, a single ply white pickguard is appropriate. 

For some reason, the string guide and headstock decal are in the "blackguard" positions.
    Yes that Discussion, there’s one somewhere with your review on. Oh well. 
    edited December 2019
    Yes that Discussion, there’s one somewhere with your review on. Oh well. 
    I have not reviewed the guitar anywhere. I merely mentioned that it was on sale at a Fender dealership near me.

In somebody else's thread, I commented on the colour, the neck profile and what a three-way selector switch can do in a single pickup electric guitar. 

Try this one. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151747/
  • dazzajl said:

Quite succinctly put and sums up how I feel about my Classic Vibe Tele Custom. I put Dimarzio pickups in it and have played it at every gig I've done this year. It's a beast that didn't break the bank and sounds good every time I pick it up.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I've not played the new classic vibes, but it's worth pointing out for anyone that doesn't know these are now made in Indonesia and are not from the same line as the mascis or the old classic vibes with the giant killer reputation. 

I've had a few Indonesian squiers over the years though and I've always liked them. 
  • dazzajl said:

I wasn't sure whether to LOL or wisdom that- it's exactly what is usually said about Squiers (and Baja's for that matter). 
    For the £300 asking price you could probably put together a really nice Partscaster if you're that way inclined. 
    My Esquire Partscaster came in under £300 & is my favourite. 
    Gerz6558 said:
    I've not played the new classic vibes but it's worth pointing out for anyone that doesn't know these are now made in Indonesia and are not from the same line as the mascis or the old classic vibes with the giant killer reputation. 
    Several of the latest CV line appear to be rebadged versions of the old Vintage Modified series. Go back far enough and you will find that several of the early VM series were the C.I.I. Squier Standard models with a decal change. 

Gerz6558 said:
    I've had a few Indonesian Squiers over the years though and I've always liked them. 
    #MeToo. :) 

Guitar or bass, some versions benefit from pickup and hardware upgrades. Others are fine straight out of the box.