Madly annoying fret buz

What's Hot
I have a cheapy Tanglewood acoustic that I have had set up by a reputable luthier but I cant get rid of a buzz on the high e on the 12th fret. I have gone through everything I can think of, changed string adjusted the truss rod but nothing stops it. If I try to put something between the string and each fret I cant identify what is causing it.
To be honest, it is rare for me to use the high e with the and the 12th fret but I know it is there and is really bloody annoying.
Any ideas how to trace the buzz.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14444
    Do you have a Fret Rocker tool? This will enable you to identify a high or lifting fret. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Take it back to the “reputable luthier” and have it set up properly, that what you paid for!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    Take it back to the “reputable luthier” and have it set up properly, that what you paid for!
    This ^^
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    paulnb57 said:
    This ^^
    Can't disagree.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

It depends what sort of setup you got - a typical basic setup doesn't include fixing all fretting issues, but should've warned about it and advised on fixing and any extra cost. If it was a simple tap-down of fret 13 I'd have just done it though.
    Probably either the 13th is high or the 12th is low just at that spot. Perhaps tapping down 13 will help, if it is lifting. Usually a lttle local working of that fret in the high spot will fix it; file, crown, polish.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    It's also possible the 12th is flat on top - probably as a result of being high, and crudely dressed without being properly crowned - and the string is 'sitar-ing' on it.

Either way, if it's very noticeable then the luthier should have spotted it and either fixed it if it could be done as part of the job, or advised you what needed doing if it was going to cost more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Okay so I found that the 13th fret was causing the buzz as I used a long steel rule. I used some wet and dry 400 and worked it till the buzz was gone. All went brilliantly until I then found using fret 12, 13 and 14 all give me the same note. No buzzing now though.....I have a feelinng I am going to be chasing this for a while.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    That has a nasty hump in the fingerboard over the body by the sound of it. This isn't that uncommon, and there is no way a ‘reputable luthier’ should have missed it.

It may need quite a substantial fret dress in that area to fix it properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Agree with ICBM, I doubt faffing with wet n dry will cure it... and could possibly compound issues...IMHO you should have returned it to your reputable luthier to rectify.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll