Faber hardware

fnptfnpt Frets: 746
edited December 2019 in Guitar
I'm contemplating upgrading my LP traditional with nashville bridge with Faber hardware and have two questions. Firstly, is it worth doing it, i.e., is there really a noticeable improvement in tone and sustain as claimed? And secondly, which set do I go for to guarantee that it is a direct replacement? 

Also, I'm also considering swapping the classic 57+ set although I think they do sound good, but only after replacing the hardware as it may be enough to get more clarity. Any suggestions on a reasonable priced set of PAF type pickups?
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would look at ABM Mueller and Halon as well.

The ABM brass bridge is a very nice tonal upgrade. I haven't use the Halon but I have some neck plates they made for me and their build quality is very good. Both companies offer a variety of materials (steel, brass, aluminium etc.).

Also, I don't think locking the bridge to the tailpiece is necessarily an improvement in sound. I have had a couple of Callaham bridges that did that and I much preferred them unlocked. Locking brought a bit more low end and high end, neither of which I felt were an improvement. Also, when ABM were designing their bridges, they tested the locking thing and came to the same conclusion.

• I have to say that out of all the hype over stuff about giving better tone etc I would say upgrading to a Faber Aluminium tail piece and bridge etc were the most truest. That's what I found when I had a set on my Les Paul. It really did make it better than the standard Zinc ones did. Other stuff one reads I just find it just snake oil mostly 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    We now stock Faber hardware . Recently started and have a fair amount of it in, but will be getting more in January. We have all the conversion posts too.

The factors that will bring the most clarity in my opinion are 
    1) An Earvana nut
    2) swapping tailpiece to aluminium 
    3) swapping pots to 500k or 550k if they are the 300k versions Gibson use sometimes

4) pickup swaps can help but I treat this as a secondary path once the guitar has been made to sound better acoustically

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    @FelineGuitars Thanks, I'm not in the UK and nowhere near a good tech so the earvana nut is not an option at the moment. The pots are 500k according to Gibson's web site (it's a 2016 Traditional).

What would be the best way to order the Faber hardware from you? 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    Thanks to all the replies btw.

____
    Question: would replacing the tailpiece posts affect the grounding of the guitar?
    ____