Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coldplay 'bodysnatched' our sound, says Travis singer Fran Healy

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes exactly, both Travis and Coldplay copied Thom Yorke's incredibly annoying singing mannerisms.

And weren't Teenage Fanclub in their turn just a mash-up of the Byrds and Big Star?
    Alex Chilton was incredibly self-critical and never understood Big Star's accolades. And yet he loved Teenage Fanclub.
    I love both bands, but apart from the "melodic guitar group with nice harmonies" part, I really don't think they're more than superficially similar. Yeah, they're not groundbreaking, but when you have a back catalogue like theirs, you don't have to be.

In terms of arrangement Teenage Fanclub were similar to Big Star but their grasp of melody was on another level - up with the all time greats.  Their lack of interest in experimenting with arrangement and groove was what held them back from becoming something truly special - you can only do so much when most of your songs use arrayed guitars playing the same beginner strumming pattern.

In a way Big Star were the opposite - a studio band from the beginning that experimented with gear to craft a contemporary sound for their songs.  Shame it all fell apart so quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Fran Healy needs to aim higher...

When I heard the new U2 single a few days ago, I thought it was Coldplay - to be be fair it was while I was at work and I wasn't paying extremely close attention - but Bono even sounds like Chris Martin now. Tedious and dreary.

mixolyd said:

In terms of arrangement Teenage Fanclub were similar to Big Star but their grasp of melody was on another level - up with the all time greats.  Their lack of interest in experimenting with arrangement and groove was what held them back from becoming something truly special - you can only do so much when most of your songs use arrayed guitars playing the same beginner strumming pattern.
    I don't think Teenage Fanclub ever had a single really memorable song. I really wanted to like them and had a couple of the albums - Songs From Northern Britain and Bandwagonesque - but I couldn't name one song off them now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Fran Healy can sing a tune in-tune, they're very different ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Imagine thinking Teenage Fanclub were nothing truly special.

Deary me, boys. Deary me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Imagine thinking Teenage Fanclub were nothing truly special.

Imagine thinking your own subjective opinion was more correct than someone else's...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Imagine thinking Teenage Fanclub were nothing truly special.

Imagine thinking your own subjective opinion was more correct than someone else's...

Because I was *definitely* being 100% serious...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited January 2020
    I always kind of liked Travis, especially their first album before they went down the "Man Who" road.

For example...

It were a different time, the 90s.

Imagine a band today putting out a jolly, upbeat single about "accidentally" having sex with underage girls.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    I always kind of liked Travis, especially their first album before they went down the "Man Who" road.

For example...

It were a different time, the 90s.

Imagine a band today putting out a jolly, upbeat single about "accidentally" having sex with underage girls.

I think that every time I hear it, I find it an amusing counterpoint to their sort of inoffensive indie jangle they spent the rest of their career doing.

Dunno if Gary Glitter got a songwriting credit on it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I thought the first album was terrible - and still do - and wrote them off as a band completely until they listened to Radiohead and did The Man Who...

Ironically I can't stand Radiohead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Dirgecore vs Yawncore. Even the attempt to generate a spat is tedious :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    ICBM said:
    I thought the first album was terrible - and still do - and wrote them off as a band completely until they listened to Radiohead and did The Man Who...

Ironically I can't stand Radiohead except for Fake Plastic Trees. 
    Corrected. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Both bands were/are just mind numbingly crap. In fact, worse than listening to a tonewood debate.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Anyone who has kids playing orchestra might be aware of the Youtube channel Twoset Violin. An old video popped up on my suggestions today where they play through an 'evolution' of English music. The pop music starts at about 6:50 (Careless Whisper doesn't sound too bad). Yellow does not come off well!

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    ....and nobody has chucked a Snow Patrol grenade into this terribly exciting band war. 

Plodding drummers....