Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson LP Weight

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    Guitarists are such lightweights.

Play a three hour set every night with one of these strapped to you boys. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never weighed my guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2221
    sweepy said:
    Part of the Les Paul Custom sound is in the not inconsiderable heft and maple neck with ebony board whereas a good LP Standard  sits @ the 8lb mark
    8lb is a rarity surely, and possibly too light. All the Rx lps I've had were just under 9lb. 

Anyway, I thought the recent obsession around weight was more to do with tone than actual comfort.  
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    p90fool said:
    I really really really don't get why a ten pound guitar is such a problem unless you're seriously ill. 

If you have a medical issue fine, but come on, I'm 55 and jump around like twat for three hours every night and don't even notice the weight of my Les Paul. 

The difference between a heavy guitar and a light guitar seems to be about the same weight as a box of teabags. It's not only silly and irrelevant, it even affects resale values. 

I'm (almost) sure that internet guitar forums are not made up entirely of octogenarian cancer patients, so why the pointless obsession?
    It will get you in the end.

10lb basses are very common, and yet more makers are going the lightweight route and cannot keep up with the demand.

My main bass is 6 3/4 pounds. It sounds massive. So that's 3 bags of sugar less weight than the average Jazz. On a long gig that makes a big difference. That's a fuck load of a bigger difference than a box of teabags.
    Don't have to be "seriously ill" to get the benefit. Less wear on backs and shoulders mean less pain as we age. If you are doing 3 hours per night then when it hits you it's going to be a bastard.

When my 10lb Les Paul "gets me in the end" I'll put it down and play my 9.5lb Strat.
    :)
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited December 2019
    stonevibe said:
    Guitarists are such lightweights.

Play a three hour set every night with one of these strapped to you boys. 

Yes indeed - preferably the one on the left, but that's being picky.
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited December 2019
    clarkefan said:
    jeztone2 said:
    9lbs 15 is average. I gig a 1983 Yamaha SG1000. That’s 11lbs. 
    Those things are absolutely atrocious, is your spine made of titanium?

Ditto the LP Customs from the 70s/early 80s. My first proper LP was an 81 Custom, I had a back problem a couple of days after getting it.

We're all different I suppose.  How John Sykes bonded so much with his 70s Custom amazes me, I saw him play that thing in the early 80s, he was er thin in those days.

I have a wide strap & it’s not too low. My band plays 35-45 minute sets of originals. I did have a very heavy PRS McCarty for a while & that was even heavier. 
  • I always wear a guitar strap, even when sat with my 9lb 4oz LP as my lower back is very weak!
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited December 2019
    I strap my R8 seated but mainly as I’m terrified it’ll shoot off my right thigh!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10684
    tFB Trader
    To me, for live use at least, if a guitar is uncomfortable due to excessive weight, it doesn't matter how good it sounds, I simply won't 'bond' with it and want to play it. Back in the eighties I had a couple of different Norlin era LPs that sounded fantastic ... however I ditched them pretty quickly to start using a much lighter LP Special, as they were simply painful on stage. Peoples physiques differ ... I'm a skinny built bugger who has never gone over about 11 stone, and so heavy guitars feel 'wrong'. Until we got our Oil City demo Les Paul Studio, I thought no chambered/weight relieved LP could cut the mustard with sustain and 'tone'. I now feel otherwise ...
    When I built my semi chambered LP it surprised the hell out of me, sounds huge and lost nothing imo, it's under 8lb, I'd put it up against any solid body I've built and I've got a few kicking about now to compare with

Les Paul specials are bloody fantastic and one of my favourites 
    Les Paul Specials hold a very ... er ... special place for me: my 70s one was my go to gigging/touring guitar in my best band days. Light, resonant, versatile with a 'sweet snarl' through my Marshalls that's probably the best sound I've ever had. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    To me, for live use at least, if a guitar is uncomfortable due to excessive weight, it doesn't matter how good it sounds, I simply won't 'bond' with it and want to play it. Back in the eighties I had a couple of different Norlin era LPs that sounded fantastic ... however I ditched them pretty quickly to start using a much lighter LP Special, as they were simply painful on stage. Peoples physiques differ ... I'm a skinny built bugger who has never gone over about 11 stone, and so heavy guitars feel 'wrong'. Until we got our Oil City demo Les Paul Studio, I thought no chambered/weight relieved LP could cut the mustard with sustain and 'tone'. I now feel otherwise ...
    When I built my semi chambered LP it surprised the hell out of me, sounds huge and lost nothing imo, it's under 8lb, I'd put it up against any solid body I've built and I've got a few kicking about now to compare with

Les Paul Specials hold a very ... er ... special place for me: my 70s one was my go to gigging/touring guitar in my best band days. Light, resonant, versatile with a 'sweet snarl' through my Marshalls that's probably the best sound I've ever had. 
    I recently sold my one and that was a superb guitar, it was all limba with a bubinga fretboard, sounded huge and fantastic to me, he did a review on here somewhere, I need to make another one next year
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10684
    edited December 2019 tFB Trader

I recently sold my one and that was a superb guitar, it was all limba with a bubinga fretboard, sounded huge and fantastic to me, he did a review on here somewhere, I need to make another one next year
    Interesting :-)
    My old one was sunburst ... and the laquer ... as well as being crazed to buggery and back ... had developed a rather unusual and attractive green cast in all the darker areas. Headstock had been repaired many times! 
    Mine was exactly like this ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Interesting :-)
    My old one was sunburst ... and the laquer ... as well as being crazed to buggery and back ... had developed a rather unusual and attractive green cast in all the darker areas. Headstock had been repaired many times! 
    Mine was exactly like this ... 
    My one

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    It took me a while getting used to playing Les Paul’s standing up. My r8 is about 9lb dead on. It wasn’t the weight for me that was the problem, it’s the slight change in the way a guitar sits I think. I was always a strat player so they felt natural to me. I think the Les Paul changed my posture for the worst at first as I found it awkward to play. 
    Now though I think it’s super comfortable and my go to guitar. 
    I agree with what’s mentioned earlier that the difference in weight shouldn’t be too noticeable once it’s strapped on.