Don't do it
Oil after

Hmmm?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Patience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If its got finish on it Id be reluctant to do it as you will ruin resale value....
    I reshaped an Allparts Fat C neck to Vee profile, but it was finished in Tru Oil so easy to finish the reshaped bits.
    As for the reshaping I used a combination of Japanes saw file, sandpaper and a cabinet scraper, fitted the neck to a body  and went for it. fitting the neck to a body gives a chance to feel how the reshaping is going. A small amount removed can make a huge difference.
    It takes a deep breath to make the first cut, as there is huge potential to cock it up, but go really steady and keep checking.

Might be better to just source a new neck with a profle you like, assuming it a bolt on? Keep the original for when you sell it..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Normally you don’t have to remove much wood to change a profile, so power tools aren’t needed. They also make it easy to take off too much. Initial shaping of a neck from a rectangular block is done with wood rasps, followed by sandpaper and cabinet scraper. Last time I reprofiled a neck I did it with strings on and used a cabinet scraper. This allowed me to play it as I worked. It was surprising how even a few strokes changed the feel. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom