Anyone have an LAG acoustic? Something similar in feel?

What's Hot
I've had an LAG T90A for just over a year.
Love it to bits, it was a secondhand bargain and still my most played guitar. 

It's a  solid top, all mahogany, auditorium sized instrument and was particularly well set up before I bought it  from Paul at Pro Solo in Burnley. 

It's a delight to play.
I particularly like the neck, which isn't huge, but comfy and manageable. 
The body shape is lovely, but about as big as I'd like to go. 

I'm tempted to get an electro and would appreciate some advice on alternatives to another LAG.

I'd like something all solid, this time probably with a different top. Auditorium sized or smaller. 

Don't want to spend a fortune, under a grand, much less if possible. 

My wife has a a Faith Venus, which sounds amazing.
Bigger neck, which puts me off slightly. But I'd  probably get used to it. 
It does feel amazing though, much more resonant than the LAG. 

Can anyone help me narrow down some alternatives?

Thin-ish neck.
All solid. 
Not mahogany, as the current instrument covers this. 
Not huge. I could even be happy with a parlour sized guitar. 
Under a grand. Well under if poss!
Electro. 

Not fussed about make, I tend to keep stuff so resale not important, solidity, build and customer service  moreso. 

Thanks in advance and have a great Christmas!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Sounds to me, from your list,  like you need a Taylor. 214 should be in budget 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited December 2019
    Taylor, Guild, Eastman and PRS all do excellent acoustics around the £600 - £800 mark.

Don't rule out something that isn't all solid. I would chose a well made laminated b&s guitar over an all solid one. My PRS Angelus was head and shoulders better than any solid guitar in that price point and it's just a solid top. Taylor use laminated b&s at that price point but they built a lovely acoustic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited December 2019
    I'm tempted to get an electro and would appreciate some advice on alternatives to another LAG.
    The T118ASCE that I tried earlier this year was a pleasure to play but the sound from its own-brand piezo transducer drove me nuts. I would want to rip that out straight away. For me, to justify such a purchase, that guitar would need to be pre-owned.

If the only thing you find lacking in your T90A is an onboard pickup and/or transducer with controls, invest a couple of hundred quid in a K&K Mini, L.R. Baggs iBeam or Lyric or one of the Fishman systems. 

My recommendation would be a soundboard-mounted device rather than an undersaddle piezo transducer strip or a sound hole magnetic pickup. YMMV.

There may be pre-owned examples of the L.R. Baggs M1 and M80 listed in the classified ads of this here forum. (None is mine!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm tempted to get an electro and would appreciate some advice on alternatives to another LAG.
    The T118ASCE that I tried earlier this year was a pleasure to play but the sound from its own-brand piezo transducer drove me nuts. I would want to rip that out straight away. For me, to justify such a purchase, that guitar would need to be pre-owned.

If the only thing you find lacking in your T90A except is an onboard pickup and/or transducer with controls, invest a couple of hundred quid in a K&K Mini, L.R. Baggs iBeam or Lyric or one of the Fishman systems. 

My recommendation would be a soundboard-mounted device rather than an undersaddle piezo transducer strip or a sound hole magnetic pickup. YMMV.

There may be pre-owned examples of the L.R. Baggs M1 and M80 listed in the classified ads of this here forum. (None is mine!)
    +1

I've spent a lot of time and money and trying to upgrade the guitar I played the most only to always to return to the 'lesser' instrument.

If you find a guitar that fits your hands then stick with it.

Get a pickup for it though.
  • Thanks for the responses.

I will investigate a sound hole pickup, thank you. 
    I'd completely forgotten it was even an option - d'oh!

I suspect we all get caught up in the 'must have a new guitar' fever occasionally, but I genuinely  don't  need anymore. 

Apart from a Firebird, obviously.  :)
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited January 2020
    I have a LAG dread which is really nice and way beyond my expectation at the price. I tried a Fishman Matrix Infinity first and it sounded pretty good but needed that for another guitar so put a K&K pure in the LAG. I haven't used it at gigs but that was never the plan. I hear great things about the Schatten HFN but spending is done for now.

As far as other brands go I've played a few recent model small bodied Vintage which I would consider comparable.