Recommended Theory Books?

What's Hot
GritstoneGritstone Frets: 2
edited December 2019 in Theory
I've fairly recently returned to playing guitar after a long hiatus. However, originally despite taking lessons, in hindsight, I just ended up memorising metal riffs from guitar tabs and learnt no theory, something I regret.

So now I've come back to the guitar I'm looking to basically start from scratch with the aim of becoming a well rounded player with the theory knowledge to back it up.

Anyway back to my question, I'm working away the first week of January and haven't got round to getting a travel or 3/4 size guitar to take with me yet, so can anyone recommended a good music theory book to take with me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The Rick Beato book is always worth getting, check him out on Youtube 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just googled Rick Beato and got déjà vu turns out I watch one of his youtube videos last night and thought to myself this guy knows his stuff. 
    Did not realise he had a book but with your endorsement I'm going to buy the pdf of version 3.0 on his website. Thanks!

Anyone else have a recommendations? 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    What kind of music are you interested in? Because I would probably look for some books — I can recommend some — that cover chordal playing and harmony in the styles you like: harmonising scales, triads, inversions, 7ths, extended voicings, etc. Then move into theory covering lead playing.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Justin Guitar is a great site, covers all aspects and is free mostly, think the Theory course may free to a certain level, but it’s always nice to make a donation to help keep these people going, I bought some of his books ,although not thee theory course, and find them really useful.
  • PhilW1 said:
    Justin Guitar is a great site, covers all aspects and is free mostly, think the Theory course may free to a certain level, but it’s always nice to make a donation to help keep these people going, I bought some of his books ,although not thee theory course, and find them really useful.
    The Music Theory section of Justin's site requires payment for the most part. There is an introductory section, which is free. He is adding to it at regularly, and it is pretty extensive. I've subscribed, and I think it's money well spent.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    I’d echo @Matt_McG here. I think it’s important to know your head space musically and what you want to achieve to give a suggestion that will help. 

It appears you’re starting from scratch so while The Advancing Guitarist is indeed a masterpiece, I’d probably swerve that for now. 

Justin Guitar is always good value and well thought out. Guthrie Govan’s Creative Guitar 1 might fit the bill too. It is more than just theory but is a good read and approaches theory in a way that is accessible, but doesn’t spoon feed the reader. 

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine is incredibly comprehensive, but again like The Advancing Guitarist might be a little overwhelming. I’ve not checked out the Beato book yet. I like his stuff, so I’ll be checking it out myself. 

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2363
    Some starters:

Theory for the Contemporary Guitarist by guy Capuzzo
    https://www.musicroom.com/product/alf0016755/theory-for-the-contemporary-guitarist.aspx

Hal Leonard Guitar Method - Music Theory by Tom Kolb
    https://www.musicroom.com/product/hl00695790/hal-leonard-guitar-method-music-theory.aspx

These both cover the same ground.

For something a bit bigger, try...

Guitar Theory for Dummies
    https://www.musicroom.com/product/mus9781118646779/guitar-theory-for-dummies.aspx

Fretboard Theory Volumes I + II Combined
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fretboard-Theory-Volumes-Combined-progressions/dp/1542403227/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=desi+serna&qid=1577552804&s=books&sr=1-1

Both of these are by Desi Surna - don't buy them both, as they are pretty much the same book.

I am still learning music, there are some real experts on here.

• The AB Guide To Music Theory by Eric Taylor

This is a great book for learning the fundamentals of music theory, and makes a great reference guide.

I travel a lot for work and was recommended this book by my guitar tutor. I now keep a copy of this my case to fill the time at airports and can honestly it’s helped my playing immensely.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    chunkmonk said:
    The AB Guide To Music Theory by Eric Taylor

This is a great book for learning the fundamentals of music theory, and makes a great reference guide.

I travel a lot for work and was recommended this book by my guitar tutor. I now keep a copy of this my case to fill the time at airports and can honestly it’s helped my playing immensely.

Every musician should have this book.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2363
    Personally, I find guitar based theory books better, plus rock doesn't follow traditional harmony/theory so well, and guitar based books usually outline some rock based theory. 

YMMV etc... 
  • Vaideology looks good and Steve is always inspiring . 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Ddigger said:
    I bought this book just before Christmas & am slowly working my way through it. My theory knowledge is gradually improving & I would definitely recommend, especially for the price I paid. £7.99 from Amazon. 
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    beed84 said:
    chunkmonk said:
    The AB Guide To Music Theory by Eric Taylor

Every musician should have this book. Ditto. I learned about these books here last months, I ordered them used online for peanuts, and they are the best balanced reference for music I have ever seen, and I had looked at quite a few over the years. Not guitar-specific, but excellent nonetheless.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited February 2020
    You need some modern theory books, otherwise it's easy to get stuck on just Tonal Harmony.

Have a read of the Berklee stuff online:

Rick Beato's youtube channel is great:

Here's his mode's post:
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Probably the best music textbook ever written is Paul Hindemith's "Elementary Training for Musicians". If you can get hold of a copy of this, there is much to be learned from it.
    Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype.