NGD

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 225
edited December 2019 in Guitar
I had the good fortune to come across a really nice late 70s telecaster in a rare sienna burst finish. I snapped it up as it was an extremely reasonable price and the seller was really helpful. He said he had the guitar bought for him when he was 14, played it for a year and then put it away into storage. It shows as it's extremely clean, you'd think it was maybe 2 or 3 years old and all original. Besides the really playable slim neck, I'd have to say I'm most impressed with the sound out of these pickups. Can anyone give me any info on how fender was making these in '77/'78? I've played many telecasters through my Fender '68 CPR and none of them have sounded anywhere near as clear and defined as this one. Anyway, enough rambling, here's the pics:

http://imgur.com/gallery/3APFFq1
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited December 2019
    Looks great!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2811
    Very nice
    why does a 15 year old put a nice guitar into storage? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love that colour. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    sev112 said:
    Very nice
    why does a 15 year old put a nice guitar into storage? :)
    The discovery of girls...... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    Nice!

I don’t think these were sold until the 80s. Sienna sunburst was part of the international colour series maybe 81? 

The late seventies serial number is as a result of an overstock of parts.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5028
    Very nice indeed! You deserve a bit of good fortune with the guitar acquisition stuff, and it looks like you've got it. Congrats!
    Call me Dave.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860
    Iamnobody said:
    Nice!

I don’t think these were sold until the 80s. Sienna sunburst was part of the international colour series maybe 81? 

I bought one new in 1983 (maple board) which I still miss.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    kswilson89 said:

Besides the really playable slim neck, I'd have to say I'm most impressed with the sound out of these pickups. Can anyone give me any info on how fender was making these in '77/'78? I've played many telecasters through my Fender '68 CPR and none of them have sounded anywhere near as clear and defined as this one.
    The bright, clear and defined tone is mostly a result of the fairly dense ash body, hard thick finish and (I think they were still using at that point) 1Meg pots, rather than the pickups.

Iamnobody said:

That's correct. You should be able to date it more accurately from the pot codes - assuming both aren't obscured by solder - and/or date stamps in the neck pocket and sometimes under the pickguard, but it's certainly much later than '78 in that colour.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    Can anyone give me any info on how fender was making these in '77/'78?
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams, none at all.

Iamnobody said:
    Correct. According to the A.R. Duchoissoir book, Sienna and Cherry Sunburst both first appeared in 1981. (IMO, your guitar is Cherry Sunburst. Sienna was a two-tone brown 'burst à la Fifties.)

Iamnobody said:
    When the opportunity presents itself, inspect the neck pocket and pickup cavities for date and Q.A. stamps.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I had a 1980 Sienna Sunburst Strat - it wasn’t part of the ‘International Series’ - it was a replacement for three-tone sunburst. My guess is that the scratch plate may be a replacement - it ‘should’ be b/w/b - but there may well be exceptions.
  • I would think the scratchplate is correct for an 'International Series' guitar going by the ones I've seen and catalogue/guitar pictures online. As already mentioned, Fender were using up left over parts so I'm sure there were exceptions to the rule.