Prs custom 22 values

What's Hot
Hey guys, I've been looking at getting a prs custom 22 over the last couple of days, after a little advice on what I should be shelling out for one, I had a 20th anniversary cu22 a while back but sold it for £1000 (which was what I thought was the going rate for a used prs) but prices seem to be quite a bit higher now! Any input welcome here as I dont want to lose money on one if possible. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just sold one to a dealer. 
    A clean example will be about £12-1400 depending on spec. 

Absolute work house guitars. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just sold one to a dealer. 
    A clean example will be about £12-1400 depending on spec. 

Absolute work house guitars. 
    Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at non 10 tops in unmarked condition and they seem to be around £1600 seems really steep, what did the dealer give you? If you don't mind me asking that is. Cheers. Justin 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687
    £1600 seems rather steep for a 22, maybe a pristine used example from a dealer would ask as much as that. £1200 seems much more reasonable and I’ve seen guitars around that value hang around for a long time before selling. An asking price is no maker for what anything is worth. 

Always a good idea to check completed listings on eBay as to what something might be worth. There will be extreme examples on either end of the scale but you should get an average value out of the exercise.  

It’s definitely a buyers market though, especially for 22s, which aren’t as desirable as the 24s. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3779
    edited December 2019
    Haych said:
    £1600 seems rather steep for a 22, maybe a pristine used example from a dealer would ask as much as that. £1200 seems much more reasonable and I’ve seen guitars around that value hang around for a long time before selling. An asking price is no maker for what anything is worth. 

Always a good idea to check completed listings on eBay as to what something might be worth. There will be extreme examples on either end of the scale but you should get an average value out of the exercise.  

It’s definitely a buyers market though, especially for 22s, which aren’t as desirable as the 24s. 
    Agreed. £1,600 is ludicrous. I sold a rosewood necked 10 top earlier this year for £1,750!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1307
    Never paid more than £1200 and I had quite a few, most model incarnations including the older 5 way rotary, 3 way toggle and the latest 5 way blade. 
    I think £1200 sort of guarantees you won't lose if you decide to sell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, going to look at one tomorrow it's a cherry sunburst custom 22 with dragon 2s in pristine condition with all paperwork, hes asking £1400 but is interested in a goldtop les Paul classic I have 2017 model, I'd imagine those being around the same value so hopefully a trade will be on the cards!
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    When I sold my old prs single cut a few years back I got no where what I thought I would for it. I think I got £1200-1400. They don’t hold their value quite as well as Gibson and Fender I’ve found. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    I don’t see them sell for more than £1200-£1300 even in the shop I work for - I don’t think there’s any real difference between 22s and 24s, and birds/10 tops or whatever don’t really make a difference either, it’s just difficult to get more than that for them.

A swap for a Les Paul Classic is about right despite the difference in original price - at most the PRS might be a couple of hundred more... and if nothing else, the Gibson is easier to sell, so I would not put money on top if you can possibly avoid it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for all the input guys