Testing/judging acoustics

What's Hot
Is there anything you all do to put a new/potential acoustic through it’s paces?

Seems to me acoustics need a bit more playing to see if it is a keeper than electrics. 

Reason I am asking is I have a few to choose from and whilst I know the drill with electric I need guidance with acoustics. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11932
    you need a quiet room, and make sure the strings are not knackered

ideally sit facing a wall 4 to 6 feet away so that you can hear what the guitar sounds like 
    Take someone else to listen as well. 
    If possible take a reference guitar that you know you like to compare it with

Then you need a piece that challenges the guitar in your style, this is down to personal preferences. With me it's complex chords with some open strings ringing, and an effort to get lots of extra harmonics joining in. Or solo lines with other strings undamped to see how much the guitar joins in

For some they'll be playing a more damped, percussive style.

Make sure it tunes well too
    And a rough idea on the  action, relief and if the nut slots are cut properly - if new get them to set it up properly

If it's second hand, find out how to spot faults

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    you need a quiet room, and make sure the strings are not knackered

ideally sit facing a wall 4 to 6 feet away so that you can hear what the guitar sounds like 
    Take someone else to listen as well. 
    If possible take a reference guitar that you know you like to compare it with

Then you need a piece that challenges the guitar in your style, this is down to personal preferences. With me it's complex chords with some open strings ringing, and an effort to get lots of extra harmonics joining in. Or solo lines with other strings undamped to see how much the guitar joins in

For some they'll be playing a more damped, percussive style.

Make sure it tunes well too
    And a rough idea on the  action, relief and if the nut slots are cut properly - if new get them to set it up properly

If it's second hand, find out how to spot faults

I think all this is good advice. The one thing I would add it to bring a capo along, acoustics can change personality when you bung one on. 

I like to get a sense of lightness and response of the top, amount of stiffness. I'm not big on necks, don't really mind shape or size but some people need a specific neck profile or they freak out - I'm looking at you @lovestrat74 ;

Take a good tuner too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is great thanks. The advantage is that I have a few guitars to try at home so makes it a lot easier. I then need to decide which to keep or sell/return. 

I think part of it is not knowing how to describe the nuances of the sounds. With electric I know the differences so words like saggy, tight or open make sense but with acoustic my ears are uncouth so it is really just bass, mid and treble that I can use to tell the difference. 

I guess it is just playing them a lot and seeing what suits by feel and sound but it is a lot harder than electric. Not helped by the fact my acoustic playing is quite poor. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    I like to play along with some reference material too, to acclimatise my ears to different tones. 

The style is up to you - personally I like playing along to Billy Strings demoing various vintage American acoustics for whatever dealer he does it for, mainly to get a ballpark idea of what sort of midrange I'm looking for.

It's very easy for your ears to get acclimatised to a particular guitar in isolation, perhaps not realising immediately that it really doesn't suit you. 
  • All of the above sounds like good advice.
    I'd suggest comparing different acoustics, with an open mind and ears as you may be surprised as to which you prefer.
    Try to get someone else to play the guitar(s) you like best so you can hear the sound being projected.
    If you want one with a pickup, I would try it unplugged before using an amp.

Don't test them when you have a cold, or shortly after playing electric guitar loudly, or going to a gig
    buy one of these gauges
    in fact buy 2 - get a plastic one as well

the plastic ones don't all measure the same, calibrate the plastic one against the metal, and also get a feel for the readings on well set-up guitars that you can check for reference. Plastic ones fit in your wallet more easily

the plastic ones have useful stuff on the back too, to help you measure string spacing, etc:

decent brand one costs more:

CarpeDiem said:
    All of the above sounds like good advice.
    I'd suggest comparing different acoustics, with an open mind and ears as you may be surprised as to which you prefer.
    Try to get someone else to play the guitar(s) you like best so you can hear the sound being projected.
    If you want one with a pickup, I would try it unplugged before using an amp.

yes, don't plug in until all unplugged testing is complete for all guitars in the shop, it "ruins" your ears
  • Thank you this is cracking advice. 

Billy Strings and Tony Polecastro (Acoustic Letter) have been my reference examples. 

I have a dread, OM, SJ and 00-12. Ideally looking to keep two and leaning to dread and SJ or maybe dread and 00-12. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’m confused. You looking to buy more? Or choosing between those you have?
  • Sorry wasn’t clear - the latter
  • The only way I’ve ever bought a guitar is to sit down and play it, if play it for more than ten minutes non stop and want to keep on playing it it’s coming home with me. If as it seems @dangriffiths has a number to test and the luxury of having them on trial for a few days clear winners will emerge without getting bogged down in the  technical details of each guitar
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Thank you this is cracking advice. 

Billy Strings and Tony Polecastro (Acoustic Letter) have been my reference examples. 

I have a dread, OM, SJ and 00-12. Ideally looking to keep two and leaning to dread and SJ or maybe dread and 00-12. 
    If you have 4 already and want to have a beauty contest to decide which 2 to sell, then why not get other players to come round and play them to you? You can listen to their playing and their ideas

Personally I'd just string the least favourite ones with alternate tunings
  • Great idea on having players around but sadly I am lefty - I did think to record myself which I still might do as an alternative. 
    Great idea on having players around but sadly I am lefty - I did think to record myself which I still might do as an alternative. 
    surely we have enough leftys on here to organise a lefty party?

I think recording a guitar tests a very different thing to what your ears pickup, worth doing, but it's a different test
    Are you mostly going to play unamplified, at home?
  • Great idea on having players around but sadly I am lefty - I did think to record myself which I still might do as an alternative. 
    surely we have enough leftys on here to organise a lefty party?
    I'll give Jeremy Corbyn a call.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • First casualty - OM.  Too close to the dread in terms of tone and is also too bling.