Old man yelling at cloud : neck specs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    fandango said:
    @lysander i think it’s very effective. The name on the headstock ultimately sells the guitar. 
    Not quite, as the headstock name doesn't guarantee you'll get the neck you want.

Maybe not 100%. But people buying a fender CS 63 strat will know that they’re likely getting a 7.25” radius. Unless fender have done what they usually do and slap 6105 frets on it, change the radius to 9.5” and give the back of the neck a slate grey wood stain look and charge you £4K for the privilege ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    It's a total wind up. The Wildwood website can be a good resource
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I genuinely read the title and thought it was about these

Didn't notice that it was in guitar section
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    lysander said:

Anyway, getting borderline insulted or passive aggressive responses for no good reasons seems standard fare here but is getting on my tits a bit to be honest.

The "vast majority of people (who play vintage guitars, and) are not really very much into playing " are probably not too thrilled with the thread either. What a list you have there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited December 2019
    It's all well and good that there are lots of seasoned  guitarists who know the difference between one guitar neck to another....but there are some old and senile duffers like me who need to be able to  read up about and compare guitar specs. To prove how old and dufferish I am....I've tried to find the  hex key size for an Ibanez guitar (AF 71). The replies are in the vein of 'It's a Japanese/Korean/Chinese made guitar.....so the hex key will be millimeters and not imperial'!!!!
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    @Skipped you paraphrased me to give a complete different meaning to my sentence. Do that in your head if you like but don’t actually write it as a post and pretend it’s what I said.

I stand by my point that people who swoon over vintage guitars without any regard for their neck sizes ( which is what I was replying to ) tend to be collectors rather than players.
    I did say it in a slightly abrasive way, but that was after I got annoyed at being told that I only wanted to know the specs because I didn’t know what I was doing and was lazy 
    =) 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    lysander said:
    @impmann what guitar shops  we all know it’s getting very hard to try guitars in a shop.

And yes I know nothing comes straight out of a CNC and specs are nominal - in fact some manufacturers put ‘nominal’ next to the specs which is obviously fine. 

Anyway, getting borderline insulted or passive aggressive responses for no good reasons seems standard fare here but is getting on my tits a bit to be honest.
    Coda Music is 1hr35mins from SE23. 
    Honestly - it’s a journey worth taking. :-)

No insults from me. It’s just that all the specs in the world aren’t necessarily going to tell you the whole story about how it feels and whilst you may ‘know’ something isn’t right, I’d suggest trying 1st hand rather than going with preconceived ideas.

Peas, loaves and sausage rolls, y’all. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I'd play anything as long as it wasn't razor blade thin.
    lysander said:
    @Skipped you paraphrased me to give a complete different meaning to my sentence. Do that in your head if you like but don’t actually write it as a post and pretend it’s what I said.

I stand by my point that people who swoon over vintage guitars without any regard for their neck sizes ( which is what I was replying to ) tend to be collectors rather than players.
    I did say it in a slightly abrasive way, but that was after I got annoyed at being told that I only wanted to know the specs because I didn’t know what I was doing and was lazy 
    =) 

lysander. The final paragraph in your post was stunning. And I quoted you very carefully.

But if you were responding to the swooning comment, you are completely forgiven. The long list of great players I had in mind,  who are using the world's finest guitars to create music, for the same reason that other great musicians are using heavily repaired 18th century violins, are certainly not swooning.

Sassafras said:

My experience is similar. Both with neck profile and width.
    I used a late 60's Sg Special exclusively for a couple of years when I started playing. It had the narrow nut width and it was not a problem. It was not a problem becasue no-one told me the guitar was narrow at the nut.

But I am in total agreement with the OP about guitar specs. Buying online is now very common. Actual measurements are the only information worth having. We know what shape a C is but the size could be the difference between comfort and (actual) pain for some.
    I would also like to see a weight for every guitar but we would then have to have a conversation about every single box being opened in the warehouse..........

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    Skipped said:
    Sassafras said:

My experience is similar. Both with neck profile and width.
    I used a late 60's Sg Special exclusively for a couple of years when I started playing. It had the narrow nut width and it was not a problem. It was not a problem becasue no-one told me the guitar was narrow at the nut.

But I am in total agreement with the OP about guitar specs. Buying online is now very common. Actual measurements are the only information worth having. We know what shape a C is but the size could be the difference between comfort and (actual) pain for some.
    I would also like to see a weight for every guitar but we would then have to have a conversation about every single box being opened in the warehouse..........
    Well they'd only have to open one box from each model, weigh all the stuff which isn't the actual guitar, then subtract that from the gross weight of all the others. 
    :)
    p90fool said:
    Well they'd only have to open one box from each model, weigh all the stuff which isn't the actual guitar, then subtract that from the gross weight of all the others. 
    :)

That is a very good point.

Sweetwater give a weight, even for each Squire guitar that they have in stock. In fact it is a great resource for those wondering about typical weights.

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    @Skipped you say the guitar being narrow at the nut was not a problem because no one told you it was - I would think it was not a problem because it didn’t feel uncomfortable rather.

I look for certain next specs from experience with playing various guitars, and finding common measurements between the necks I liked and the ones I didn’t like, not from internet wisdom as others had suggested.

I have fairly large square hands with big fingers so narrow nuts make it hard to play some chords and intonate them properly because there just isn’t space to put my fingers in the right place.