U2 to run fender?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72394
    rossi said:I couldnt even name a single song of theirs.
    I bet you can name One.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    There's an i missing from the thread title.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    At least it's people who care about guitars and have good business minds. I thought it was odd at first, but the more I think about it the more I think it's safe hands.

I do hope they actually pay tax though, rather than Bono's usual trick of dodging it while telling everyone else to put their hands in their pockets for charity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited May 2014
    DeeTee said:

I do hope they actually pay tax though, rather than Bono's usual trick of dodging it while telling everyone else to put their hands in their pockets for charity.
    What are the actual facts of that case?

My understanding is they pay income tax in Ireland as you would expect of Irish residents. The company itself, an international organisation that operates all over the world (record sales and tours aren't restricted to the Irish Republic as far as I recall) of which Bono is only one member (the other three and then-manager being the others), moved years ago to a tax haven, around the time Ireland stopped its tax-breaks for artists. I'm guessing the manager of the band had more to do with that move than Bono (and probably did so on the advice of professional accountants and lawyers), who does himself spend plenty of his time lobbying for fairly good things like easing third world debt, access to malaria drugs and fresh water etc. He also invests his own money in charity organizations too.

On top of that I don't really see the direct link between avoiding corporate tax and being involved in charities you think are worthwhile that would set you up for a fair accusation of hypocrisy.

Sorry to come over all serious, I just think on balance the guy probably has done quite a lot to make the world a better place, more than most. He's always been driven and is lucky enough to have become successful, I find it a shame that he's automatically assumed to be a nob and I get bored at the lazy accusations and wooly thinking.

I remember when his assistant paid a 1st class plane ticket to fly a hat to him, people were flying off the rails because "He's always banging on about the climate and saving the world, what a waste of energy!" Well, fair enough except that 1. it wasn't his idea and 2. he's not always banging on about climate.

Meh, that's just what I think anyway. Take it or leave it. I'd love to have enough influence on the world to be judged by millions! My main beef with him is that his voice is a bit poo these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited May 2014
    Oh, I'm sure he's got more ticks in good column than in the bad! I should also say that I loved the band up until a certain point. I do think, however, that when you're trying to get everyone else to be more socially conscious, it's a little hypocritical to avoid tax in your own country. Especially when that country is having a very rough time, economically. I just don't think it's ideologically consistent.

Erm, sorry for diverting the thread!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    DeeTee said:

Erm, sorry for diverting the thread!
    I wouldn't worry, I think everyone was running of sentences that could be made to look Like a Song list.
    Cirrus said:
    I remember when his assistant paid a 1st class plane ticket to fly a hat to him, people were flying off the rails because "He's always banging on about the climate and saving the world, what a waste of energy!" Well, fair enough except that 1. it wasn't his idea and 2. he's not always banging on about climate.
    Not only that, but since the hat took a seat by itself, and was a lot lighter than a passenger, the plane actually used *less* fuel (very marginally - probably hard to calculate but not zero) than if the seat had been occupied by a person.

:)

I agree - overall I think he does more good than harm, even if he can come across as a bit self-righteous sometimes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    I believe it's everybody's duty to avoid as much tax as is legal. And I quite like Bono.

FWIW I think they'll be good for Fender. It's always good to get in the news and Bono & Edge appear to have decent heads for business, whatever you think of the music.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • r_peggio;253794" said:
    That's bad news.  "The Edge" is the shittest guitar player of all time.  Plus anybody that refers to themself as "The Edge" should not be alive.
    Totally disagree there.
    He's produced some of the greatest riffs off the past 20 odd years imo.
    Some of his riffs are bloody difficult to play correctly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Bring on the fender explorers! \m/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I haven't been bothered to look deeply into the story but,  are they actually on the commercial board proper with true decision making power over the company or, non-executive, consultant, artist type thing?

No problems with U2, just a band doing their thing.  Unless we begrudge people being successful now. I'm sure no-one here would want to be in their position.