New Bass time. Squier Classic Vibe?

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Need to upgrade my Ibanez, it’s not cutting it on my recordings and I don't like the style.

So looking at cheaper Jazz basses.  
I’d previously decided on a 70’s VM bass but they seem to have disappeared.  The classic vibes seem to have come down in price a little so I’m hoping to pick one up.

However, wondering what to choose.   60’s and 70’s look very similar.  I’m thinking 70’s, either the maple fingerboard or the indian laurel.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/squier/squier-jazz-basses/squier-classic-vibe-60s-jazz-bass-laurel-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/squier/squier-jazz-basses/squier-classic-vibe-60s-jazz-bass-laurel-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/squier/squier-jazz-basses/squier-classic-vibe-70s-jazz-bass-maple-fingerboard-natural

Any thoughts on how these would differ?
I’ll probably buy unseen and thinking 70’s maple would be the brightest.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    Pickup position is different on the 70s.

Bridge pickup is closer to the bridge. Bit brighter / tighter sound for the Jaco thing.
  • Pickup position is different on the 70s.

Bridge pickup is closer to the bridge. Bit brighter / tighter sound for the Jaco thing.
    Great. Didn’t know that. Could be the decider.   
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited December 2019
    Other than a few cosmetic details, the latest CV series is the post-2011 VM series. 

If you research back far enough, the early VM models were, essentially, the Squier Standard series sans the Original Contour Body decal.

Whenever Squier "refreshes" the range, they concentrate on whichever series is selling better.

Need to upgrade my Ibanez, it’s not cutting it on my recordings and I don't like the style.
    Which model is it? Perhaps, a pickup and electronics upgrade would suffice? (Easy with, P, J, MM and EMG-35 format pickups. Tricky with some of the Ibanez in-house soapbar designs.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Other than a few cosmetic details, the latest CV series is the post-2011 VM series. 

If you research back far enough, the early VM models were, essentially, the Squier Standard series sans the Original Contour Body decal.

Whenever Squier "refreshes" the range, they concentrate on whichever series is selling better.

Which model is it? Perhaps, a pickup and electronics upgrade would suffice? (Easy with, P, J, MM and EMG-35 format pickups. Tricky with some of the Ibanez in-house soapbar designs.)
    Its a gsr200 I think.  It’s not the best feeling bass and it looks shit so although it could be upgraded I’d rather just go for some kind of Jazz bass.  The shape just puts me in a better place, if you know what I mean.
    As long as the Squier felt good I’d be happy to upgrade as necessary going forward.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Okay, tried an affinity and a few classic vibes today and they were a bit meh.  The setups didn’t help, so I’d give them another go, but first impression were not great.  The 70’s Jazz felt like it might be nice but buzzed like shit, unplayable.  To be fair might just need a tweak.

But, I played a G&L tribute bass and that felt ace.

Only tried them acoustically, but it has got me thinking I need to spend a bit more, or try some well set up classic vibes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

Okay, tried an affinity and a few classic vibes today and they were a bit meh.  The setups didn’t help, so I’d give them another go, but first impression were not great.  The 70’s Jazz felt like it might be nice but buzzed like shit, unplayable.  To be fair might just need a tweak.

Only tried them acoustically, but it has got me thinking I need to spend a bit more, or try some well set up classic vibes.
    If you were playing acoustically you might have been playing really hard trying to hear it which would cause the buzzing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948

If you were happy with the G&L's weight, you really can't go wrong - I've had 8 and only 1 was too heavy for me.

I'd also recommend Tanglewood Overwaters in your price bracket, but they're getting harder to find. The frets are better than Cort.
    thegummy said:
    If you were playing acoustically, you might have been playing really hard trying to hear it, which would cause the buzzing.
    This.

Schnozz said:
    Tanglewood Overwaters - in your price bracket but they're getting harder to find. 
    I know where to find one. ;) 
    thegummy said:

If you were playing acoustically you might have been playing really hard trying to hear it which would cause the buzzing.
    No they were just not set up at all, straight out of the box.  Could have just needed action/truss rod etc. 
    It wasn't loud, I could hear pretty well.

Was jamming on the Ibanez last night:-

Got me thinking about music man.  What are the Sterling models like?  Forgot to try them in the shop.
    Schnozz said:

If you were happy with the G&L's weight, you really can't go wrong - I've had 8 and only 1 was too heavy for me.

I'd also recommend Tanglewood Overwaters in your price bracket, but they're getting harder to find. The frets are better than Cort.

G&L is definitely the favourite atm.  I like bases with the classic looks.  Are the pickups standard Jazz size?  
    I 'd like a bass with possible upgradability.

Also just looking at the Ernie Ball Sterling bases, are they any good?

Got to admit I dn't know much about Music Man at all, they are something I've over looked but I was watching Vulfpeck and I like!
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Buy my 'as new' P bass...(see ckassifieds) my advice here!
    Jon
    Also just looking at the Ernie Ball Sterling bases, are they any good?
    S-by-MM bass guitars are to the EBMM USA instruments as Fender MIM and Squier MII are to Fender USA. The fundamentals are all there but, in the interests of hitting a price point, corners have been cut. The electronics are not as good and the overall weight errs on the heavy side.

IMHO, the brand new prices are a bit steep. Wiser to buy pre-owned.

JonHosker said:
    Buy my 'as new' P bass...(see ckassifieds) my advice here!
    Jon
    So tempting.  Looks great!

I’m leaning heavily towards Jazz but this does look great.  I’ll have a think.....
    I have the 2014 equivalent of this. It has the superior Duncan Designed JB-101 pickups and a proper rosewood fingerboard.

I was in negotiations with somebody late last year but everything got scrambled when my mother fell ill. 

I doubt that my price for the used instrument would be much better than Anderton's price for a brand new example. The other line they carry that is worth checking out is the older Sire V3 and M3 models.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2284
    My bass player has a SUB as one of his basses. He is using it over the others at the moment because it’s lighter, sounds and plays great. I set it up for him but it didn’t need much at all.  

I have a Vintage brand Stingray copy. It was one of the first in the UK from the 90s and it’s very very good too.