managing nitro fumes

As I continue to roll toward retirement, I am setting up what at best I would call a semi pro finishing setup. 
Due to a total lack of space in the UK, I have never bothered with spraying Nitro to finish my various projects. 
Over the years there is close to a small mountain of stuff to properly finish all marked as nice but retirement project. Probably close to 30 guitars in some shape or form need a decent spray finish. 

Anyway, I thought I was sorted with the Spanish place nice sized double garage I could convert to a workshop with a spraybooth etc. 

So I originally built a DIY spray box with simple extraction and filters to collect overspray etc basically a box with a flameproof fan etc. With the view, this would vent to the open air. 

I now have a retired Spanish couple who have moved in next door its been empty for 2 years.
Any way I can simply tell that the man who every morning walks his one plastic water bottle to the recycle station and then later in the day empties the house bins and he and his wife only leave in the car for 1.5 hours to go to the market once a week and do the weekly shopping. Is not going to be the neighbour to say live and let live. Nice guy but 2 weeks after he moved in came round with a list of things he did not like that we did. Like growing tomatoes down the adjoining wall and keeping a vegetable garden. 

So before I go full-on with the spraying, for an easy life I am thinking what is the best way to handle fumes, the home built system handles overspray well and draws it into the filter material. It is simply a box with a decent fan pulling air through a set of filter baffles. 

Can I extend this to pull the fumes through carbon, to remove most of the vapour odour before pushing it to the outside? with little residue odour. I have read some people say passing over a water box helps other say carbon but nothing definitive. I won't be affording a professional extract air system so it has to be a DIY build that will do a decent job.   

Any suggestions or ideas very welcome, as I am sure it is going to be easier to keep my neighbour happy from the start and to be honest if I sat in my garden all day I doubt I could live with regular lacquer fumes. 

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Tricky-sounding neighbour.. I'm not sure what this water box idea is, except spray booths can use water screens/curtains to draw extraction through, to have the water carry vapour & particles. But that's heavy-duty kit if course.

Something like this type of fine activated carbon filter may work perhaps with a coarser pre-filter before it, something like this maybe.
    I wonder how fine filters like this affect extractor power, but with single guitar bodies a decent fan should probably cope. I have stages of activated carbon filters in my breathing setup and they do have quite an effect on airflow. But a large panel might mitigate that effect away, vs my small compact units.

• SargeSarge Frets: 2400
    Get yourself to a hydroponics shop, there are some excellent carbon filtration systems available ;)