Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fame, how do you deal with it?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    The hardest thing about fame is trying to hang onto it. You have to humiliate yourself on I'm a Celebrity, Strictly, Celeb Big Brother and other demeaning shows.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    When I was an editor, I used to get recognised quite a lot at car events. Sometimes it was kinda nice, sometimes it was a bit intrusive. But then you factor in weirdos...

At one event, a guy I’d never met came up to me to pick a fight. He’d taken exception to something in the mag and wanted to punch my lights out over it. Yes, really - it was only a fucking car mag! A mate stepped in and took him to one side to sort it. So then he tried it on with my wife. Thankfully she’s a tough cookie and after a swift altercation involving a kick in the nuts, we left.

As mentioned above, people read stuff and think they ‘know’ you - and think you are public property. I don’t even pretend to be ‘famous’ but that period of my life made me value my privacy.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I kind of like the idea of random high fives when walking down the street, attention from groupies and maybe some free dinners. Everything else, meh, take it or leave it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited December 2019
    I've worked hard all my life trying to maintain my privacy by being an insignificant failure. And let me tell you, it's not been easy. Stifling my talent, charisma and creativity has been a real challenge.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like enough fame that I could get invited onto celebrity editions of game shows. Celebrity Mastermind, Celebrity Pointless, House of Games,etc.
    I watched an interview with Michael Sheen talking about moving back to Wales and realising that he could get on the celebrity edition of The Chase, as if his entire career had been leading up to that point. 

I have a reasonable sense that people on the way up are more egotistical and driven and difficult to deal with, once they've achieved what they set out to do ( or realise they've got as far as they can) then they can relax a bit more. Someone mentioned Robbie Williams and I knew someone who knew him as a young man and he was obviously a bit of a nightmare. I also know someone who met him much later on, Robbie was doing unpublicised work for a charity in Stoke and was apparently very nice and had time for everyone.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I'd like enough fame that I could get invited onto celebrity editions of game shows. Celebrity Mastermind, Celebrity Pointless, House of Games,etc.
    I watched an interview with Michael Sheen talking about moving back to Wales and realising that he could get on the celebrity edition of The Chase, as if his entire career had been leading up to that point. 

I have a reasonable sense that people on the way up are more egotistical and driven and difficult to deal with, once they've achieved what they set out to do ( or realise they've got as far as they can) then they can relax a bit more. Someone mentioned Robbie Williams and I knew someone who knew him as a young man and he was obviously a bit of a nightmare. I also know someone who met him much later on, Robbie was doing unpublicised work for a charity in Stoke and was apparently very nice and had time for everyone.  
    It must impact on you and there will be ups and downs. If you have to interact with fans when you’re tired or low it could easily result in the wrong perception of you.

There’s an interview with Weller at the height of The Jam’s fame where he talks about it being like living in a goldfish bowl. To reinforce that point there’s kids surrounding the windows of the building he’s in shouting his name etc.

I think for anyone in the public eye arranging your business so you get some respite from the daily adulation is necessary to keep you grounded and healthy. 

That said, I think with fame comes responsibility and interaction with fans is all part of it. Without them you wouldn’t have the fame etc.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I’m not sure if this fits into the context of the conversation and I know it has been mentioned that there are massively varying degrees of fame. But something that is pretty interesting in the guitar world is the amount of players that will know a brand name, the products and where they originate from. But they might not necessarily know the person/people who have made the brand famous. Indeed, there are several names on this forum that could be deemed “famous” as far as the brand and their own name goes.... yet few could pick them out of a line up. I think that’s the best type of “fame” to have 
  • Whistler said:
    I once watched an interview where Mark Knopfler said he wished everyone all the success in the world but said he would not want to wish fame on anyone.
    I met him after he had an accident.  He couldnt stop saying do you know who I am to the hospital staff.  Concensus was he was a dick
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    You only have to look at the stellar rise and inevitable fall of Ronnie Pickering to see the corrosive effects of global fame.

He had it all; nice jacket from Matalan, Citroën Picasso.

Where is he now?

There are rumours that he moved to the Outer Hebrides and spends his days painting sunsets in water colours. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    I've worked with some a bit famous people, some quite famous people and some very famous people. 

The very famous people were much nicer than the a bit famous famous people. 

Except Villa Black and Michael Barrymore. Both huge bellends at their peak. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Kilgore said:
    You only have to look at the stellar rise and inevitable fall of Ronnie Pickering to see the corrosive effects of global fame.

He had it all; nice jacket from Matalan, Citroën Picasso.

Where is he now?

There are rumours that he moved to the Outer Hebrides and spends his days painting sunsets in water colours. 
    Who?!!

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9753
    edited December 2019
    soma1975 said:
    ... Michael Barrymore. Both huge bellends at their peak. 
    Oooh err
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Sadly that's about the level of an off-camera Barrymore joke. Thanks for bringing it all back :(

On the plus side I did call him a cunt. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    Sadly that's about the level of an off-camera Barrymore joke. Thanks for bringing it all back :(

On the plus side I did call him a cunt. 
    Sorry yes it was pretty poor
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I find that it burns your change to keep you insane.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    on the fame scale I think I'm something like League Division 8.. lol
    some of you already know that I've played guitar for some moderately well know names that were previously members of pretty well known prog bands..

I rarely get recognised in the street.. but when I do it's never been a bad experience..
    so that's pretty cool..
    I do get recognised at gigs from time to time [where I'm in the audience]..
    but we're all fans of the same music so that's pretty cool too

I'm a huge believer in spending time with fans before and after the shows I play..
    I think it's very important to treat your fans well..
    some get a little over enthusiastic or try to monopolise your time.. but there's never harm..
    just be polite and move on so you can meet and greet others too..
    I totally understand why the bigger artists cannot meet and greet after the show.. they'd get mobbed..
    that being the case, I rather like the level that I'm at.. just a little but not too much..

I also have a personal rule to avoid getting even a bit squiffy in public [at gigs] so that I'm in complete control of myself..

fans being what they are want to know everything about you..
    there's a fine line between keen and intrusive, so some things are better kept out of the public domain
    I have a strict rule to never talk about my family or private life publicly or on-line

like I say.. on the fame scale I'm a minnow.. but fame is more perception than anything else..
    when folks from all over the world you've never met approach you at a festival it's always mind-blowing when you realise just how far those little squeaks you make on a guitar travelled and how much it means to the fans..
    and for that.. I adore and deeply respect them..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I’m not sure if this fits into the context of the conversation and I know it has been mentioned that there are massively varying degrees of fame. But something that is pretty interesting in the guitar world is the amount of players that will know a brand name, the products and where they originate from. But they might not necessarily know the person/people who have made the brand famous. Indeed, there are several names on this forum that could be deemed “famous” as far as the brand and their own name goes.... yet few could pick them out of a line up. I think that’s the best type of “fame” to have 
    there's a lot of truth in this...
    brand and also 'persona'..
    as a performing artist, some have a different persona that they slip into [like putting on a uniform or assuming an identity] when they are performing or in the public domain..
    it can help.. it helps me personally because I'm naturally quite shy, suffer with stage fright and can be quite insecure at times..
    so I 'become' someone / something else.. on stage I am Clarky.. off stage I'm just me... it's a coping mechanism I guess..

guys like Steve Hackett don't need to..
    he's just Steve on and off stage.. totally comfy in himself and what he does.. and of course vastly experienced..
    just an all round very nice, quiet, polite and gentle guy..

guys like Thijs van Leer never stop performing..
    even off stage, if there's an opportunity to jump on a piano or flute he's there.. born to entertain and loves it..

but each in their own are are their own brand..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I'm not even moderately famous but had a small taste when my old nwobhm band were asked to reform and play Brofest a few years back. Being asked to sign autographs and have our picture taken with fans from all over the world was surreal but nice for a day.

One of my oldest friends is a guitarist in a world famous band doing massive arena tours. He is a bit rock starry, I suppose but I've been eating dinner with him in a restaurant when he's been recognised and he's got up from his meal to sign autographs and have his picture taken with fans.
    Clarky said:
    on the fame scale I think I'm something like League Division 8.. lol
    some of you already know that I've played guitar for some moderately well know names that were previously members of pretty well known prog bands..

I rarely get recognised in the street.. but when I do it's never been a bad experience..
    so that's pretty cool..
    I do get recognised at gigs from time to time [where I'm in the audience]..
    but we're all fans of the same music so that's pretty cool too

I'm a huge believer in spending time with fans before and after the shows I play..
    I think it's very important to treat your fans well..
    some get a little over enthusiastic or try to monopolise your time.. but there's never harm..
    just be polite and move on so you can meet and greet others too..
    I totally understand why the bigger artists cannot meet and greet after the show.. they'd get mobbed..
    that being the case, I rather like the level that I'm at.. just a little but not too much..

I also have a personal rule to avoid getting even a bit squiffy in public [at gigs] so that I'm in complete control of myself..

fans being what they are want to know everything about you..
    there's a fine line between keen and intrusive, so some things are better kept out of the public domain
    I have a strict rule to never talk about my family or private life publicly or on-line

like I say.. on the fame scale I'm a minnow.. but fame is more perception than anything else..
    when folks from all over the world you've never met approach you at a festival it's always mind-blowing when you realise just how far those little squeaks you make on a guitar travelled and how much it means to the fans..
    and for that.. I adore and deeply respect them..

God!
    It's all me me me with you superstars.
     :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    drwiddly said:
    I'm not even moderately famous but had a small taste when my old nwobhm band were asked to reform and play Brofest a few years back. Being asked to sign autographs and have our picture taken with fans from all over the world was surreal but nice for a day.

One of my oldest friends is a guitarist in a world famous band doing massive arena tours. He is a bit rock starry, I suppose but I've been eating dinner with him in a restaurant when he's been recognised and he's got up from his meal to sign autographs and have his picture taken with fans.
    Who's your friend?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!