Would like to add a tone control to my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro - options?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited December 2019 in Making & Modding
In place of a tone control, the Patrick Eggle Pro's have a 3-way rotary tone selector which, in conjunction with the 3-way toggle, gives 9 pick-up configurations.  The rotary position 1 gives split humbuckers, position 2 gives the normal humbucking options, position 3 gives accentuated mid-range for a 'honky, bluesy' sound. Whilst versatile, I miss not having a tone control and would appreciate expert input on what options might be available. 

I'm assuming that the Rotary selector could be swapped for a push-pull tone control but I suspect this will only give me 3 additional configurations - presumably the first position single-coil tones & second position normal humbucking modes from the Rotary switch. 

However, I'd like to keep all 9 positions if I can. I don't want to add a 3rd dedicated tone knob is it will be untidy & make the guitar non-original. Is there an option to make the rotary switch a combined 3-way rotary and tone control - eg a double position push-pull?  Are there any other options?

Has anyone here done a mod to address this issue?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited December 2019
    If I remember rightly the third position is just the other coil split - ie it goes inner coils - humbuckers - outer coils.

Whatever it does, you can replace it with two push-pulls, so that one (probably the volume) selects the coil splits and the other selects which coil is split to (or whatever the third sound is), with the second pot being a tone control.

If you use the high quality CTS push-pulls they work well as volume controls too - not always the case with cheaper ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2019
    Thanks @ICBM - I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for my guitar - no luck yet but I'm asking on the PE forum.

Sadly I'm not capable of doing the mod myself unfortunately - including parts & labour what would this likely set me back to have done?  . Also, I had the volume pot changed previously but I'm still not happy with it as it still 'jumps/grabs' a bit from zero rather than gradually and smoothly easing on from zero which makes it awkward in trying to clean up distortion and 'violin'.  Would the CTS pots give a smooth transition from zero?   I've had a look on line and there are quite a few different ones - could you recommend the right versions for me - e.g. 250K/ 500K? Long taper, short taper? Split shaft?  logarithmic? -  should the tone & volume be the same types or different? (I'm just not very knowledgeable on all this I'm afraid s ).
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    500K Log, split shaft, same for both volume and tone. I think the top thickness on the Eggle is about 1/4”, but check. If so, these should fit.

https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/1650/cts-500k-push-pull-audio-taper-guitar-pot-potentiometer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjfvS0cPf5gIVhbHtCh0QWg12EAQYAyABEgI6q_D_BwE

Yes, they have a good taper right down to zero - this is exactly why I don’t like using cheaper mini-pot push-pulls for volume controls...

The circuit is quite simple - the coil split connections from the pickups are connected to the first switch which selects on or off, then they go to the second switch which sends them to either ground or the pickup hot connections. Anyone familiar with guitar wiring should be able to do it in about half an hour.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2019
    Thanks @ICBM - & happy new year!