Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Superstrat-ish suggestions

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
edited December 2019 in Guitar
Just wondering if anybody could suggest a superstrat style guitar but with regular strat body contours (i.e. not too spikey)?... I'm after something with a HSS configuration ideally but HH and SSS would be fine as well. I've got a maximum of about £2000 for my budget and I'm looking to buy new. I did see some nice Schecter guitars on the Peach website which fitted the bill but are a bit of a stretch budget-wise. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chapman ML1 cap10? :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    USA Charvel San Dimas or SoCal.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    For that cash Id look at a Fender Ultra unless you need a locking trem.
  • sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited December 2019
    If 'regular strat body contours' is a prerequisite then the prominent 'production line' brands which spring  to mind would  be Tom Anderson (typically flawless with a price tag to match!), Suhr, Tyler (controversial headstock design) and K-line.

I would expect purchasing a brand spanking new one to drag the budget closer to £3000, quite probably more for the one which catches your eye ;-).  

p.s presuming that the 'not too spikey' stipulation precludes Jackson, Ibanez, ESP and the like.
  • A lot less than your budged but I bought a Schecter C-6 Pro from Peach earlier in the year and it's now my favourite guitar. Much prefer it over my more expensive guitars such as my Les Paul.

• If SSS is in the mix then why not go for a 'real' strat with those magical in-between sounds. I've actually completely lost track of the current Fender product range but I 'think' the Pro series is a nowadays USA strat?  

• ColsCols Frets: 7019
    Washburn N4.  Best neck on any guitar I’ve ever played.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Either a Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas would fit the bill. Also the Jackson Adrian Smith sig model is very Strat- looking.

Alternative suggestion: GJ2 Shredder. Designed by Grover Jackson, but more traditional- looking than the Jackson stuff. I had one, it sounded great, played really nicely and I thought it looked fab... you'd have plenty of change from £2k as well!

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    When you say 'Superstrat', what precisely do you mean, other than a more rounded, kess spikey body?
    Thin neck?
    Flat radius?
    24 frets?
    Locking trem?
    Hotter-than-normal pickups?
    Thinner body?

Hard to look beyond Charvel DK24 or SoCal. Superb guitars, esp for the price.

Adam
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2019

PJE 96.

They're superb guitars, certainly available 2nd hand for under your budget, but you may get a decent deal on a new one, mine was £2k new.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kalimna said:
    When you say 'Superstrat', what precisely do you mean, other than a more rounded, kess spikey body?
    Thin neck?
    Flat radius?
    24 frets?
    Locking trem?
    Thinner body?

Adam
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I should have been a bit more specific here - I know I'd prefer as close to normal strat body contours as possible and with regards to the fretboard I'd rather have a 9.5" radius or higher and medium jumbo/jumbo frets. Preferably a non-locking 2-point trem as well but that's not imperative.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Kalimna said:
    Thin neck?
    Flat radius?
    24 frets?
    Locking trem?
    Thinner body?

Adam
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I should have been a bit more specific here - I know I'd prefer as close to normal strat body contours as possible and with regards to the fretboard I'd rather have a 9.5" radius or higher and medium jumbo/jumbo frets. Preferably a non-locking 2-point trem as well but that's not imperative.
    So less of a super strat and more of an American standard/pro then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Second hand Charvel Guthrie Govan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited December 2019
    S/H Suhr or Anderson ( if you are lucky )

this was £2300 off of the dreaded eBay 
    https://i.imgur.com/jpY8fmI.jpg
  • For that sort of cash I'd look at all mentioned above, plus Vigier (second hand prices are reasonable and below £2k, and they are as good as the Tom Andersons etc) and the Ibanez AZ range. I own both and they're two of the best non-locking trem superstratty (but not pointy) things out there. Luxxtone are also great but I've only played a couple briefly; bit more stray. I would also agree re the Charvel DK24 that @Kalimna mentioned. One of my students picked one up for just over £500 second hand and it's a ridiculously good guitar for the money (and still is at the full retail price) - it's pretty much as good as my AZ which costs twice as much new...if I was buying new I'd go for the Charvel and have a grand left over for something else!
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll them all into consideration. Has anyone played a Carvin/Kiesel guitar? They seem reasonably priced and well made.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll them all into consideration. Has anyone played a Carvin/Kiesel guitar? They seem reasonably priced and well made.
    Had a Carvin before they changed to Kiesel. Fantastic guitar with one of the best necks I've had in my hand. It was the DC135 I believe. Not sure how they are now but I've seen more positive notes than negative.
    Coda Music have just got a Vigier in stock, second hand for a lot less than £2k.