Simple but decent audio interface

Hi all

I recently upgraded my M-Audio 2x2 interface to a Komplete Audio 6, which looked like a suitable interface for me, and decent VFM with it's SPDIF connections.

It is setup as

Guitar -----> Kemper -----> Kemper SPDIF out------> KA6 SPDIF in ------> Monitor speakers

The interface is also attached to my Mac via USB.

I can use the interface as monitors for normal audio playback from my Mac - Spotify, YouTube etc.

I can also record and hear my guitar signal using Logic.

My biggest problem now is monitoring the guitar signal without launching a DAW for general practice, something I have been doing for years using the M-Audio interface.This is because the interface only supports "direct monitoring" for the inputs 1 & 2 ... not for 3 to 6 (with S/PDIF being inputs 5&6).

Inputs 1 & 2 are both on the front of the interface and I like to keep untidy cabling to a minimum as my desk is a little cramped already, so was hoping that using the inputs on the rear would be possible.

Any suggestions for a sensibly priced interface that can utilise direct monitoring via SPDIF or another rear mounted input?

Or is there a software alternative to what I'm trying to do - a mini DAW type thing?

Or do I go back to the M-Audio which to be honest does work for me, I wanted to try SPDIF to get a stereo signal out of the Kemper?

Many thanks,

Simon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Can’t you send an aux to the Kemper then just use headphones?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • smooresmoore Frets: 30
    I could - but keen to avoid headphones for general practice.

I'll probably put up with the fact that I have to launch Logic for monitoring purposes - not too much of a big deal, would be ready before the Kemper had booted up anyway!

Not convinced in the interface long term though, will be looking out for a suitable replacement soon enough.

Cheers,

Simon

What Monitors you using?...Cant stick the kemper outputs direct to monitors.?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    They're already used by my interface 

smoore said:
    They're already used by my interface 

Oh....You said the Kemper to interface was SPIDF ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Yep, digital connection to the Kemper and the from the Kemper to the monitors, and via USB tontheb
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Maybe I've missed something but why not have an audio out from the Kemper to lines 3 and 4 on the interface then you can monitor it directly?
    I tried using inputs 3 and 4 and had no luck - the switch on the front to flip between inputs 1/2 and 3/4 didn’t seem to do anything, I think I read somewhere that this only works if headphones are used?

The switch on the front is referring to outputs rather than inputs, it chooses which set of outputs come through the headphones.

But there should be some kind of control panel software for your interface that lets you set the inputs to be monitored. It often looks like a mixer but not necessarily.
    I'm afraid there isn't any software that would help here, there's not even a real manual yet for this version 2!

I'm not familiar with the interface but I'd be very surprised if it didn't offer direct monitoring for inputs 3 and 4.

I'll see if I can find out on Google.
    Do you have the knob with "input" and "host" set in the middle?

I think I might have been mistaken about the switch, I'd definitely put that to 3-4 and have the input-host knob in the middle (with the Kemper connected to inputs 3 and 4).

If that still doesn't work then it's seems you're right about direct monitoring only being available on the first 2 inputs. That would be really shitty of NI to omit direct monitoring of analogue inputs. Surprisingly bad.

If that turns out to be the case and you'd rather spend money than use the front inputs I can tell you that on Focusrite interfaces you can definitely directly monitor all inputs including spdif. So whichever Focusrite model has the right number of inputs on the back for your needs would be a good bet.
    Hi thegummy 

Thanks for the info, you’re right about NI being shitty - completely took me by surprise, but it appears that the current version of the interface is hard wired to only allow direct monitoring using analogue input 1.

i can work around it for now by always having Logic running with a track open for monitoring, but I can feel me changing it soon enough!

cheers,

Simon

• smoore said:
    Hi thegummy 

Thanks for the info, you’re right about NI being shitty - completely took me by surprise, but it appears that the current version of the interface is hard wired to only allow direct monitoring using analogue input 1.

i can work around it for now by always having Logic running with a track open for monitoring, but I can feel me changing it soon enough!

cheers,

Simon

It appears the Mk II also has problems. 

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006216618-Manual-for-Komplete-Audio-6-mk2-not-available-en-us-

I'm wondering if the Zoom U44 offers direct monitoring of SPDIF signals as it can be used as an audio interface and as a standalone AD/DA converter. I would suggest looking further at this interface.