Trying a guitar on eBay before you buy?

What's Hot
LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
Is there any way to do this? I've heard some horror stories where the seller has been hammered for fees just letting someone try the guitar as eBay think they are trying to deal outside of eBay. 

Is there a way round this? There is a nice acoustic I fancy, but I really want to try it before comitting. I can't believe everyone buys unseen, what do people do? I've tried to track down the seller outside of eBay, but to no avail :-(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If the seller agrees then yes, however ebay won't let you directly exchange phone numbers or emails. 
  • The seller can now share their phone number. They have to set this up in their account settings. It then appears for the buyer in the “ask seller a question” section.

I’m not sure what the rule is re sharing contact details directly in messages. I would think it would be okay now as well to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    ask eBay.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5428
    You can also write down your phone number or email address and send a pic of it as an attachment. I suppose you could get caught but I haven’t yet. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10244
    Whitecat said:
    You can also write down your phone number or email address and send a pic of it as an attachment. I suppose you could get caught but I haven’t yet. 
    Well I've been caught twice doing that. I've managed to escape the fees by begging them. Both times I was just letting the guy come round to try it, and both times I hadn't even sold it.

It's a dumb system.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    If you set up having your phone number available you can quite legitimately invite people to view before they buy.

The only time eBay will get narky is if you end an item early... they will charge you the fees, unless you can prove that nothing improper has taken place.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Selling fees are close to irrelevant as long as you've listed your item during a £1 max fees period.  I can't think of a reason for listing at any other time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Whitecat said:
    Well I've been caught twice doing that. I've managed to escape the fees by begging them. Both times I was just letting the guy come round to try it, and both times I hadn't even sold it.

It's a dumb system.

what you need to do is get those magnetic letters / numbers that you stick on your fridge, arrange them into your phone number then send a pic of that, but do make the potential buyer beware that the fridge will NOT be included in the sale

I've not been caught that way, not even once
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Go to a shop and buy a guitar with back up and service - eBay is crap ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Thanks for the advice, I'll send a message and see what happens :-)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    You re perfectly entitled to try the thing before you hand over your money and refuse it if it is faulty.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10244
    tony99 said:
    Whitecat said:

It's a dumb system.

what you need to do is get those magnetic letters / numbers that you stick on your fridge, arrange them into your phone number then send a pic of that, but do make the potential buyer beware that the fridge will NOT be included in the sale

I've not been caught that way, not even once
    I've actually been convincing people off the street to arrange themselves on the floor in big numbers, hiring a helicopter and taking a picture of the 30 odd people that have contorted themselves into my phone number, and sending that to potential buyers. All in a crafty bid to save the £1 selling fees those BASTARDS are conning me out of. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Well, a while ago I advertised (through their £1 offer) a 1958 ES225 on there. It was about £4500, so the £1 fee was a great deal. You can also legitimately include your number in the ad. Anyway, a prospective buyer made contact and arranged to come and see it. He didn't buy it in the end, but the next day it sold on here to a forum member, so I took it off sale on eBay of course. Next thing, there's a message from them with a 'warning' about selling outside eBay and threatening to charge me the full listing commission of 10%.

Oh, we did have some fun after that, which result in them not charging anything, but it might be useful to note that that's what they threatened.
    Call me Dave.
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    DB1 said:
    Well, a while ago I advertised (through their £1 offer) a 1958 ES225 on there. It was about £4500, so the £1 fee was a great deal. You can also legitimately include your number in the ad. Anyway, a prospective buyer made contact and arranged to come and see it. He didn't buy it in the end, but the next day it sold on here to a forum member, so I took it off sale on eBay of course. Next thing, there's a message from them with a 'warning' about selling outside eBay and threatening to charge me the full listing commission of 10%.

Oh, we did have some fun after that, which result in them not charging anything, but it might be useful to note that that's what they threatened.
    Compared to other stories I’ve read, it sounds like you got off lightly, well done. 
    As you point out, even if the item is listed under the £1 offer, they still come after you for the full 10% if you end the item after contact with a potential buyer.
    I was able to give them full details of the visit, the buyer - and asked them to verify it with the buyer if they wanted to. I also told them where the buyer eventually bought the guitar from and invited them to contact the store - I also pointed out that trying to sell on a £1 offer outside eBay was probably not worth the effort. I followed it up with an intention to sue them if they attempted to take money out of my account. I think they were aware of the consequences that my legal fighting fund of around 80 pence could bring.  ;)
    Call me Dave.
  • mort said:
    DB1 said:

Compared to other stories I’ve read, it sounds like you got off lightly, well done. 
    As you point out, even if the item is listed under the £1 offer, they still come after you for the full 10% if you end the item after contact with a potential buyer.
    does this mean that if you have a listing on ebay but sell it elsewhere , its better to just leave the listing on ebay until the timings run out, thus wasting everybodys time ie if someone else wants to buy it make up some silly excuses why they cant?
  • mort said:
    DB1 said:

does this mean that if you have a listing on ebay but sell it elsewhere , its better to just leave the listing on ebay until the timings run out, thus wasting everybodys time ie if someone else wants to buy it make up some silly excuses why they cant?
    Yes you just change the price to something ridiculous so no one will buy it.
    Yes, or even just get someone you know to 'buy it', mark it as 'paid' and just take the £1 fee charge to avoid the aforementioned hassle. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    Ebay is not really geared up for trying before buying. 

Is it something pretty unusual?   You can always sell on if it's not for you and if it's not as described its pretty easy (too easy maybe) to get a refund. 

Also, be prepared that the seller might be pissed if you try but don't buy.