Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2020 Guitar Goals

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
What does everyone want to do achieve in guitar in 2020?

My main goal, as it has been for a couple of years, is to play more and get better, and enjoy the opportunities I get to play with others.

Shorter term, four of my guitars badly need new strings and I'm avoiding using them and playing others... need to sort those ones out!

Gear-wise, just solved my recent gas and need for a new Strat by getting a new Chapman, and the following anxiety (I think I get anxiety, not as bad as my mrs but I do) at having 13 guitars by buying a ukelele (taking me to 11 electrics, 1 bass, 1 acoustic, 1 Uke, phew).

Still need to get a better answer to the comment "you have that many guitars, you must be really good" than "no, I just really like guitars..."

Anyhow, what are everyone else's 2020 playing and gear goals...??

BTW - Happy New Year :)
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3583
    1950's LP Gold Top, thats my goal.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    My goal this year is to just stop bloody buying and changing. I’ve got 7 great guitars so I need nothing at all guitar wise.

Amp wise I’ve got a JTM45, 1974x, JMP 50, Vibroverb 63 and a loaned Tweed Bandmaster currently in my house. I 100% don’t need any more on the amp front.

Pedals wise I’m on a hunt for my perfect fuzzface and currently I am struggling to beat the one I have in the Thorpy Veteran. My only issue with that is size. So I am trying out lots of different ones to find the one I’m happiest with. 

My main aim at the moment is to distil what I’m playing into a single car trip and be happy with what’s happening. My playing needs to improve until I’m at a level where that feels totally comfortable. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

My main goal, as it has been for a couple of years, is to play more and get better, and enjoy the opportunities I get to play with others.

+1

Although it's going to be very very difficult to find the opportunity. Sigh.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    This is the year I finally..........

.....well.......I'll anounce it on here nearer the time.

Should prove to be really exciting.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3038
    edited January 2020
    Last year started well with a new interface and I started to record stuff with garageband. Unfortunately I lost momentum and by the end if the year had lost some enthusiasm for playing. I always do far more during dry periods, so really need to cut out the booze and focus. As soon as I’ve had a drink, I can’t be arsed to play. I’ve come up with countless riffs and ideas but never had the discipline to record and make whole songs out of them. Might focus on the current fb songwriting challenge.

Also need to finish working my way through the Vaideology book which I started a year ago. 

Gearwise, all I can say is that I have huge GAS for a Gibson Les Paul. I’ve got a Vintage V100 but I really do want the real thing. May start planning to raise a fund for one of the new 60’s Standards in Bourbon Burst. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Most importantly, get a band together/join a band. I quit the band I was in, back in February. So I'd like another go at it, just for fun.

Gear wise - Maybe a 2x12 cab to go with my Mesa. New bridge for my Jackson and maybe go back to single coils with my Strat. No plans for any new guitars, I'm quite happy with what I have.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    • Laugh lots and watch all the John Frusciante clones wet their collective knickers during 2020. 
    • Buy some new guitars strings.
    • Probably buy some guitars.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1099
    Stop loosing money on gear
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited January 2020
    Round off my acoustic set-list. I'm up to about 40 songs and want to take it to 50. Perfect the parts and add vocals. 

Keep digging away at album drums. 

That's it - quite realistic. Play more than now that I split up with my girlfriend and I've weekends to myself. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3476
    edited January 2020
    Record a full song and work out a way to get people to listen to it and want to hear more!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Sort my shit out and stop using arthritis as an excuse not to play.
    Also put together another partsa strat for the lowest price possible
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 955
    Read less, practice more.

Finish my partscaster
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Stop buying shit I don't need which acts as a constant distraction from actually producing music*. Practice more.

* After a new acoustic guitar, a PRS (either 594 or DGT) a new rack for my audio interface and new music PC.
  • Improve technique / speed / knowledge 
      Learn more songs I love for my repertoire 
  • Play the perfect chug that causes time to stop and Satan himself to rise from the abyss and swallow the earth. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11636
    tFB Trader
    I have more than enough guitars of my own, and amps too, so my focus needs to be on more practise and pushing to learn some stuff. I may be asking lots of questions in the playing section I can see relating to getting more from practise.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• To stop selling gear on here that I regret letting go. Les Paul Special if you're out there call me I miss you
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited January 2020
    I’d like to get myself either a LP or a PRS. Just a quality 22 fret dual humbucker really. Or possibly a tele which I’ve wanted to try for ages. Then I should maybe play more. Band wise we’re hoping to record this year which will be fun/stressful.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Build less, play more
    Buy a Cray Strat (cos I don't have enough Strats) but Ive wanted one for years....
    Find and fund a suitable 2x12 for the Origin head

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Improve technique / speed / knowledge 
      Learn more songs I love for my repertoire 
    Ditto this. Various online courses, primarily Truefire, lined up.